Nearly-ruptured Anal Gland

We'll be at the vet as soon as they open tomorrow.

I swear her butt did not look like this last night. She's been a butt-licker on and off for years. Never does any butt dragging. Never needed to have her glands expressed - unlike Miss Pudge who needs it occasionally.

In these pictures it's the anal gland at the 5 o'clock position. It's bulging and there's a bit of bloody mucus.

She's not fussing with it. Not showing any sign of pain.

So what kind of treatment will she be facing?

At this stage would they treat with antibiotics and see if it cleared up or jump right in and remove it.

My vet is only open for a half day tomorrow but I think I'll withhold food and water in case they need to sedate her.

She does not like going to the vet.

DSC02969_edited.jpg

DSC02970_edited.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts

I'll tell you how my vet usually treated that. He prescribed oral antibiotics, and also gave an antibiotic in a tube that had to be applied to that area for a period of time. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I worked for him :blink: ), he also suggested warm compresses to the area.

Please give Gracie a gentle hug for me! :grouphug

I'll tell you how my vet usually treated that. He prescribed oral antibiotics, and also gave an antibiotic in a tube that had to be applied to that area for a period of time. If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I worked for him :blink: ), he also suggested warm compresses to the area.

Thanks DeVon. Which part of Gracie do you want me to hug for you? :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts

Thanks DeVon. Which part of Gracie do you want me to hug for you? :P

She'd probably appreciate the front half hugged, and leave the hiney alone :lol:nod:D

Guest jsullysix

my bridge girl had 2 instances of abscessed anal glands, and they looked like the pic posted. the vet had to open the abscess and put a drainage tube in there. lotsa warm compresses, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories. poor thing.

sully

my bridge girl had 2 instances of abscessed anal glands, and they looked like the pic posted. the vet had to open the abscess and put a drainage tube in there. lotsa warm compresses, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories. poor thing.

sully

Did she have to be sedated?

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jsullysix

replied in pm, but yes, she did. it was done as a surgical procedure.

i should also add, that like yours, charlie was never a butt dragger, nor did she need the glands expressed.

when they drained the abscess, my vet told me that she may be more prone to this happening again, and that may lead to gland removal.

thankfully, it wasn't necessary, and while she did have two occurrences of this, that was it.

sully

Chances are it will likely be ruptured by morning....and really...it would be nice if it did cuz it would relieve her of a lot of pain/discomfort. If it isn't ruptured...they will likely lance it to rupture it. It needs to drain in order to heal so depending on how bad the infection is....they may clean it out and leave it and put her on antibiotics....or they will do a minor operation that will place a string in the hole and out another hole or a drainage tube (as well as antibiotics). The string needs to be pulled back and forth a couple of times a day to keep the hole open and draining. Pretty gross I know. They usually only remove anal glands after they have had a number of these infections so I very highly doubt they would even consider removing it. Happy thoughts for you both... :grouphug

Edited by meakah

Meakah, the rupture must have helped eased her discomfort. She hasn't licked it all night.

Off to wait at the vet's office now.......

tiny hada siggy.png

*anxiously awaiting a post-vet's report here in Kansas* :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Tankx Aunty DeVom. Ey wuz doin dat hineylick manure butt ey coulnt fixt it myself....

wub and lix,

Gwacie

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Tenderhearts
*anxiously awaiting a post-vet's report here in Kansas* :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Tankx Aunty DeVom. Ey wuz doin dat hineylick manure butt ey coulnt fixt it myself....

wub and lix,

Gwacie

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

It's okay Gracie, the vet will make you all better sweetie! :kiss2 :kiss2

Guest greybookends

Ducky please give the non oozing end a hug and kiss for me. I hope everything is better when I get home from today's M&G. We will miss you. :grouphug:kiss2

Update:

Vet deep cleaned the anal gland, flushed it, and I think he said he cauterized it with something oxide.

Gracie screamed, screamed, screamed. :(

She's been given:

a Rimadyl injection

Rimadyl 100mg 1 pill/24 hrs

Amoxicillin 500mg 1 pill every 8 hours

Neo-Predef butt powder (contains neomycin sulfate, isoflupredone acetate, tetracaine HCI

I think I need to administer cookies PRN to ward off stink eye.

tiny hada siggy.png

Neo-Predef butt powder (contains neomycin sulfate, isoflupredone acetate, tetracaine HCI

:lol the "butt powder" made me giggle. Sounds like a good powder though (hopefully she won't lick it), and the tetracaine in it should help relieve the itchies and ouchiness of it all.

Hope she heals quickly - when I was younger our poodle had one that ruptured. I was too young to remember now what the treatment was but I do remember warm compresses...try holding a warm washcloth to a poodle's butt! :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest nerak254
Update:

Vet deep cleaned the anal gland, flushed it, and I think he said he cauterized it with something oxide.

Gracie screamed, screamed, screamed. :(

She's been given:

a Rimadyl injection

Rimadyl 100mg 1 pill/24 hrs

Amoxicillin 500mg 1 pill every 8 hours

You also must add ice cream!

Guest grey_dreams

Oh, poor Gracie. Sure hope that she heals quickly now and doesn't have this happen again! We had to go through this last week with Zuki (who'd been home only 2 weeks), but we were lucky and caught it before rupture. He has to go back next week for more cleaning and packing with antibiotic ointment. The vet tells me they usually heal up quickly following treatment, so I hope Gracie will be wagging her tail soon.