Hot Spot

Guest driser

Guest driser

Our boy has a hot spot on his inner thin right where the leg articulates. We have tried human first aid wrap and vet tape but as soon as he bends the leg, it slides to his ankle. Of course he wants to lick it all the time. Thankfully I home office and moved his bed within sight so I can keep him from licking. Vetericyn and an antibiotic cream with pain reliever WITH NO licking and it starts to heal ... soon as he's out of sight, he licks it raw again and back to square one. We tried a Comfy Cone last weekend; too big for his neck yet not long enough to cover his needle nose. I need to muzzle him don't I? :(

Brady is a master licker too, I would say muzzle with a poop guard would be best to keep him from licking.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest driser

Brady is a master licker too, I would say muzzle with a poop guard would be best to keep him from licking.

Muzzle round the clock 'til it heals? Ugh.

Where is it exactly? Could try lightweight shirt with sleeves if on foreleg, kids' lightweight knit pants (with butt cut out) if rear leg.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest driser

Where is it exactly? Could try lightweight shirt with sleeves if on foreleg, kids' lightweight knit pants (with butt cut out) if rear leg.

It's on inner thigh, back leg. And a GH friend in CT just recommended summer-weight kid onesie pajamas. She used for her boy's inner thigh injury months back. Going to Walmart after work! He's been muzzled for a few hours and it's so sad looking.

So is my Princess. No wound will heal unless she wears her muzzle with poop cup.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

hydrocortisone w/ aloe applied very very generously and something to stop the licking(muzzle). like diaper rash the air helps. it seems like they need to run their course. one of my dogs was prone to hot spots, allergy...so rather than washing him i used to rinse the irritant off w/ the hose and that was the end of his hot spots. one flea bite can cause it, mold, grass, something they are lying in can do it as well.

Guest driser

the kid pajamas was an epic failure. :) glad they were only $9 at Walmart. more clothe for shining shoes. :)

put duct tape on his muzzle; that will have to be the avenue we go and though it looks SO SAD, it does beat the plastic cone of shame. He hasn't had a bath in months but loves to pee in tall weeds so I think he brushed up against a less than benign plant.

We were actually wondering about one of hubby's tshirts put on backwards. May try that at bedtime tonight and give him break from taped muzzle.

thanks for all the input and suggestions!

Muzzle round the clock 'til it heals? Ugh.

When I was home the muzzle him only until he was interested in something else a toy or not going for his sore. When I was working or out he was muzzled. Once his spot got a chance to start healing and was less irritated, Brady would lose interest in licking and then no more muzzle. It took a couple of days,

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Use Burt's Bee Hot Spot Spray and add Cod Liver Oil to his food. You don't need fancy "pet" cod liver oil, just get a bottle from your local pharmacy usually in the aisle with vitamins and supplements. Don't wrap or otherwise cover up the area, it needs air. Keeping it moist all the time will never allow it to heal. Just keep an eye on him for at least 10 minutes after applying.

Edited by Sorcha

When Sophie had stitches on the inside of her thigh, I cut the arm off an old sweatshirt leaving some long ties, and tied it loosely around her waist. It did the job nicely and she wasn't bothered by it at all, as you can see. Would something like this work? Might not be quite so easy with a boy but you might be able to figure something out.

0802150025CR.jpg

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting