Combination Of Symptoms - Panting, Coughing

BauersMom

I'm not sure if this is nothing or something, really.

On Tuesday, Ivy (12 yo) had a weird "episode" - I put down her food in the AM and she didn't get up off her bed. I called her and she got up and walking slowwwwwwly to her dish, panting and clearly uncomfortable. She didn't want to eat and then proceeded to walk around the house slowly, panting... her eyes were glassy and huge (much like how she gets at the vets when she's upset/scared). She stood in the corner in the living room for a while, then walked into the spare bedroom and stood and stared at a wall... I called to her and she was responsive, but she remained clearly uncomfortable. She finally calmed down after maybe 20 minutes, fell asleep and then woke up in an hour or so like nothing had happened. She ate breakfast normally and the rest of the day, she was back to her normal self.

Now, within the last maybe 24-48 hours, I've noticed her coughing a bit. It ranges from a "honk" type cough to a clearing of the throat. It doesn't happen often nor for any prolonged time - maybe one or two coughs at a time, 3-4 times a day.

She's always been healthy as a horse, as they say and other than tuesday morning, she's been her same active self and eating, playing, etc.

Any thoughts? I have an appointment for the vet on Monday (she's due for her senior work up anyway).

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

The two things may not be related. Sallie coughs occasionally, never found any cause :dunno The other almost sounds like a TIA or small seizure... But, I am not a vet, so don't let me scare you! She could have just had some indigestion! I hope it all turns out to be nothing!

The two things may not be related. Sallie coughs occasionally, never found any cause :dunno The other almost sounds like a TIA or small seizure... But, I am not a vet, so don't let me scare you! She could have just had some indigestion! I hope it all turns out to be nothing!

This made me chuckle because the last time I saw similar symptoms was with my other dog a few years ago, and he had gas. :rolleyes: It turned out that it was bad enough that the vet was concerned about stomach torsion, so he stayed overnight at the e-vet.... yep, a $1100 gas bubble.

The two things could easily not be connected, I know, but so odd for Ivy to have anything go amiss with her, let alone two

"things" in the same week. The cough SEEMS innocuous but again...it's something new for her.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I am sorry to read about Ivy and I hope it's nothing sinister. Just a few "heads up" comments to keep in mind as my Holly is 12-1/2 and suffered something "kinda sorta" similar in July (except that she vomited three times within an hour after breakfast). Poor thing was drooling, standing in a hunched position, and looked extremely uncomfortable.

Holly has suffered the coughing/gagging thing for quite some time (we're thinking laryngeal paralysis to some degree?). Maybe? Maybe not? She is also on thyroid meds. Took her for an echocardiogram this summer as I was concerned about the panting and wanted to rule out cardiac issues. Thoracic x-ray and ECG normal.

However, the July incident prompted a trip to the ER to rule out bloat (just in case; which we did); a trip to the vet for blood work -- results showed elevated kidney values and a dx of protein losing neuropathy; a referral to the hospital for evaluation where an abdominal ultrasound revealed an ulcerated area of the duodenum (most likely related to the kidney issues).

At this geriatric point in her life there are a few areas of concern (including neurological) -- although some of the panting may be related to the kidney issues and her just not feeling well. Holly was stable and doing okay for a few months but now seems to be on the decline.

Anyway, it doesn't mean any of this is Ivy's problem but just a few things to consider as our sweet girls journey into the twilight years. :cry1

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Sorry to hear about Holly. :( I was thinking bloat until she settled down on tuesday - if she hadn't, I would have brought her in. I am worried about something heart-related and I'll ask the vet about that on Monday, and we'll get the bloodwork done too, just to be safe in case.

I'm not a vet, but that doesn't sound like nothing to me. If she does it again, maybe you could grab a video to take with you to the vet? We'll keep you and Ivy in our thoughts and hope the next few days are uneventful.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sorry to hear about Holly. :( I was thinking bloat until she settled down on tuesday - if she hadn't, I would have brought her in. I am worried about something heart-related and I'll ask the vet about that on Monday, and we'll get the bloodwork done too, just to be safe in case.

First thing I thought of too, heart.

But hopefully nothing!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I got home from work and she's acting just like she did Tuesday morning. Regular vet is closed, I think we're heading to the e-vet.

She's currently standing in the corner, staring at a wall, panting.

:(

Oh no! Prayers going with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Called the e-vet, and we have an appt at 7:30.

She's clearly in pain. Cried jumping off the ramp to the yard, then couldn't step back up onto the ramp, lots of panting and pacing. She was holding her right front paw up periodically, but isn't limping on it as she paces around. No idea what's going on.

We're back.

No real answers. :(

Trying some pain meds - if she's not better tomorrow, I'm going to bring her to my regular vet for x-rays. Bloodwork came back normal, except for "slightly low" platelets. Snap test negative.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry Ivy is still having troubles, and that there is no strong indication of what is going on. :( It is awful seeing your baby in pain and having no idea what is wrong.

I'll keep thinking about you, and sending good thoughts your way. :grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Do a urinalysis too.

Sending prayers she's better soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

May be neck pain-- sometimes they will appear lame as the cervical pain runs right down the radial nerve. With bad neck pain they are reluctant to move because it hurts so much. Did the e-vet dispense any pain medications?

So... the platelet count was 160,000. But that's not really low for a greyhound?

She fell asleep for about an hour and got up and walked around VERY slowly and was panting heavily... she came and sat down next to us and quickly quieted down and is sleeping again. At least she can get comfortable enough to sleep.

May be neck pain-- sometimes they will appear lame as the cervical pain runs right down the radial nerve. With bad neck pain they are reluctant to move because it hurts so much. Did the e-vet dispense any pain medications?

Tramadol/gabapentin. I was surprised no NSAIDs but I do have some on hand if we decide to change course.

BTW - she hasn't coughed since I posted this Tuesday.

She coughed most of the night. No more panting, but she's still walking very slowly and gingerly. Heading back to the vet today.