Remembering Bonnie

onrushpam

It was twelve years ago this weekend...

Glen and I set out on Good Friday morning for the nine hour drive to Council Bluffs, IA. We had decided to adopt a greyhound and the program at Bluff's Run was the closest we could find to where we lived at that time. (I thnk this was during the time when The Woodlands was closed.)

After a restless night in a motel, we met Donna Lovely at her farm, where the Bluff's Run adoption dogs are housed. I had spent hours on the phone with Donna, discussing the available dogs. My initial request was for a small, dark female. But, Donna kept talking about this big, white girl named, of all things, Brownie! She said Brownie would be a good fit for my two other requests... our new pet needed to be good with small dogs (we had a blind cocker spaniel) and small children (my nephew spent a lot of time at our house).

We met Brownie, and liked her a lot, but wanted to meet ALL the dogs. So, we made Donna introduce us to every single one before agreeing that Brownie was, indeed, the right dog for us, despite her size and color. :blush

That night, in our motel room, we decided to rename our new girl. She would be Bonnie...

Bonnie (a/ka/ Wild Survival) and her three littermates had flunked out of schooling and never run an official start. Two of the littermates had already been adopted and her sister Meg was still at the adoption kennel. I've always hated that I never contacted their adopters!

We took Bonnie home on Easter Sunday, and I will never forget the big, goofy grin she wore for most of the long ride!

That was the start of something HUGE in our lives... Bonnie introduced us to many new experiences... competitive obedience (she earned her Companion Dog title in the first year she owned us), lure coursing (she wasn't very good, but she loved it) and to volunteering in greyhound adoption.

She was a perfect dog... always by my side. She loved nothing more than hanging out in the yard with us on a sunny day or wading in the creek at the farm. She ruled what become the Onrush pack with a velvet glove. She was the ultimate alpha female. She had a helicopter tail and greeted each new experience with enthusiasm and that goofy grin.

There will never be another one like Bonnie. I still miss her terribly...

653Bonnie.jpg

Edited by onrushpam

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

God rest you, Bonnie. You taught your people well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a heart warming tribute to your beloved Bonnie. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a beautiful girl...Bonnie's legacy will live on forever. :grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Bonnie lived a wonderful life with her loving family. God speed Bonnie! :gh_runner

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Bonnie is so special to all because she started you off on this whole crazy greyhound thing :)

You have helped SO MANY greyhounds Pam and Bonnie sounds like she had a MAJOR part in that

Bonnie and yourself are TRULY angels on earth :angelwings:angelwings