IDEXX reference values that are Greyhound Specific

A few days ago, I received new test results for my greyhound Molly.  For the first time that I remember, IDEXX had a notation:  Greyhounds require different reference intervals for many common parameters.  Please visit go.idexx.com/greyhoundRI (that's a capital I as in Irish) for breed-specific reference intervals.    The  list is extensive and includes T4, renal values and hematology.  Perhaps this will help us from saying to our vets "But she's a greyhound!!!"   The result numbers on my printout were still for non-greyhounds and my vet missed the correct ones, but it's a start!  The info is finally there!

Edited by cgingrich

A number of adoption groups hand out  medical reference cards or provide them as a fundraiser to greyhound owners to use as a quick reference when talking with their vet. There's a sample of the card on this page. https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/ri_cards/  There are some members here who are involved with the cards through various groups so they will probably post additional details. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Many years ago I created the original Greyhounds Are Different medical reference card. I was tired of bringing along a handful of printouts on greyhound-specific lab values to each vet appointment. Fortunately my vets were open to the information. At the time, many other greyhound owners got a lit of push back from their vets who insisted something was wrong with their greyhound when it was actually normal.

Dr Couto was so impressed with my little card that he asked if I'd be okay with him producing one of his own. For a while I used to sell my cards and donate to adoption groups. I knew it would be a money losing venture but I just wanted the info out there. I was honored that Dr Couto took my cards to another level.

I do like that this article mentions SDMA testing for kidney values. I think the standard basic panel now includes SDMA, rather than it being a separate test.

Cgingrich, I encourage you  to print out the Greyhound Health Initiative cards from the link in Time4ANap's link. My vet keeps a copy of my card taped to his clinic refrigerator.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png