The cost of importing hounds

ahicks51

Seems there are two operating tracks in the United States, both in West Virginia. As racing may be decoupled from gambling soon, that may come to an end by 2025.

West coast groups can still get dogs occasionally from Caliente, in Mexico, and there is some discussion Mexico may be starting a second track. Similarly on the west coast, Australian racing dogs are occasionally available, albeit with considerable logistical issues.... and expense.

On the east coast, there are Irish racing greyhounds, and galgos from Spain.

If anyone "in the know" has had experience with any of these in terms of cost (as in total cost, un-subsidized by the group) and could share those figures, that would be great. My understanding is that Australian dogs to the west coast are about USD$2500, with hounds that are spayed, vet checked, vaccinated for everything under the sun, etc.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

GTer jimsherriek’s Houston based just at a meeting with the Australians and will be bringing dogs in. She can give you detailed info.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our group in Oregon has been getting both Irish and, recently, Australian dogs.  I am not involved in the arrangements personally.  

We began getting just a few dogs from Ireland by piggy-backing on the hauls coming in with another, established and experienced group(s) out of Seattle.  They were getting 8 or 10 dogs and we picked up 2 or 3 from the flight.  I think most of the Irish flights go into Chicago.  Same with the Australian dogs, coming into LA.  Once our group had some experience meeting the flights and maneuvering the dogs through customs and all the paper work, volunteers from our group began making the trips on their own to pick up our own hauls (though we still mostly are sharing dogs between two groups).  I know there are at least a couple groups - one in Florida and another in ...Ohio-ish???) flying in spanish galgos under a similar arrangement.  

From what I can gather, most of the expenses for the flights are covered from the groups of origin and your figure seems in line with what I am hearing from members of my group.  We do pay something, and it is much more substantial, but the dogs come already completely vetted and ready to go directly into foster or an adoptive home.   Our adoption fee has increased to help cover the cost ($700 I think, up from $400 for the last US dogs we adopted out).  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly