Recently start urinating indoors

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. Our (nearly) 12 year old, Billy, has started having the odd accident indoors. 

we have had a visit to the vet and had a urine test and blood tests to see if there is any underlying cause but both tests came back clear, for all intents and purposes he is healthy which is a huge relief.

He has started having the accidents, mainly, in the mornings. He doesn’t do stairs so he used to give me a quick bark and I would come down to feed him/ let him out for his bathroom routine.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand that he isn’t getting any younger and that accidents might happen with age but it kinda seems a bit too sudden and too frequent to be that? I don’t know.

The past couple of nights I have slept downstairs with him and he has slept through without incident, then last night I thought I would see how he goes and slept upstairs again, and you guessed it, another accident. The frustrating part is that he had his accident at 4:45 and then barked for his breakfast at 5:00. I don’t understand why he isn’t barking to let me know he needs the bathroom.

I don’t suppose anyone has any advice for me? I don’t really know what I’m asking, just at a bit of a loss that’s all.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! 
Ryan

Is it a big pee? Is he drinking more water than usual? Does he leak pee in his sleep? When his urine was tested, did they also run a culture? That would take a few days to come back.

Enalapril has really helped my senior girl's leaky bladder. It's not the primary use for that med, but Georgie also has kidney disease.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for your reply macoduck.

its a big pee, he’s not drinking more than usual and doesn’t pee in his sleep. They did a culture and they said it was all ok. Forgot to mention too in the original post that he also had an ultrasound on his bladder and that was clear too. 

I’m a little worried that it’s becoming a habit rather than an medical/ age related issue.

Would you have any tips to break this?

thanks again