Odd thing on a walk

Cara is a 4 year old girl, retired from racing in May this year.

She's the most sociable dog imaginable, so easygoing with other dogs, even the bouncy, shouty ones. Takes it all in her stride.

Last night though, she saw a small, furry, terrier type. She'd spotted it from a long way off (sighthounds, am I right??) but seemed her usual enthusiastic "pleased to meet you, can I sniff your arse please?" self, but as we got closer she lay down and started quivering, as if she was suddenly full of nervous energy.

Any ideas how to interpret this (so far) one-off behaviour?

Sounds like she was super excited. Most likely excited to play but it could have been a prey/hunting thing too. It's hard to tell sometimes, especially with dog you haven't known very long. I can't always read my girl, so if I think she's getting over-aroused I quickly distract her or break her focus just to be safe.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Cats do a similar thing just before they pounce. I'd be careful if she does it again as it could be excitement that her prey is coming closer.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time