Suddenly attacked a dog??

Im looking for some help/advice. We’ve got a rescue greyhound/lurcher mix we rescued just under a year ago. Shes extremely sweet and gentle and gets on great with other dogs and our smaller cavachon. However lately whenever we’ve gone on walks and our cavachon who’s quite lead reactive barks shes been going mental at the dog as well which is totally unlike her. Today the same thing happened but she became worked up and slipped out of her collar and attacked the other much larger dog who was walking across the road. Thankfully she didn’t draw blood or break skin but it was very frightening and totally unlike her. She wouldn’t let go of the other dog and we had to nearly open her jaw to get her away. Its totally out of character for her and shes never been aggressive toward any dogs before, does anyone know why this could be or have any tips or advice? Thanks so much, we just want to make sure this doesn’t happen again. 

Your other dog is inciting her.  I had the same situation with my greys.  I had to walk them separately.  It's ok.  More exercise for me.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Not sure on the behavior but it does sound like the small dog is getting her worked up.  Now that you know she can slip out of the collar, I would switch to a harness ASAP. We like the Freedom No Pull Harness from 2Hounds Design. The owner of 2Hounds is a member here although I'm not aware if she still has greyhounds or not. We have always had great service and great products from them. Also, the harness has the option of using 2 attachment points if you want to double leash or use a double ended leash for extra security. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

13 hours ago, Houndtime said:

Your other dog is inciting her.  I had the same situation with my greys.  I had to walk them separately.  It's ok.  More exercise for me.

Thank you, that’s what I assumed as well, we’ve decided to walk them separately from now on 

11 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Not sure on the behavior but it does sound like the small dog is getting her worked up.  Now that you know she can slip out of the collar, I would switch to a harness ASAP. We like the Freedom No Pull Harness from 2Hounds Design. The owner of 2Hounds is a member here although I'm not aware if she still has greyhounds or not. We have always had great service and great products from them. Also, the harness has the option of using 2 attachment points if you want to double leash or use a double ended leash for extra security

Yes thank you, she’s never reactive on her own so we’ve decided to walk them separately and we’re getting her a harness today. I’ll definitely check out that harness, thank you for the help and suggestions 

A harness will help until you can break her of the need to respond.  Though I would opt for a more secure harness to ensure she doesn't back out of it.

Spooky Dog Harness

Also, for your other dog, get this training book to help you work through his/her issues.  The techniques will also help to get your greyhound out of the habit.

Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Reactive Dog

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly