Electrolytes

Hi, my 11 yo greyhound has always suffered heat but now he's really susceptible to it. Of course I don't walk him during hot hours and I'm very careful about heat management but I was wondering  if it could  be helpful to give him electrolytes during summer. I owe horses too and I give them electrolytes through Summer to help them cope with heat waves

I used to run with my first greyhound Ivy.  I too was a horse person and I thought it would be best -as Ivy would get hot for sure.  I asked my vet and he agreed and basically said it may not be necessary but then again it may be and a reasonable amount certainly wouldn't hurt her.  I ordered her a tub from KV Vet Supply that I recall was actually formulated for dogs.  Maybe some of the racing folks will chime in.  They are the ones who will know also.  Anyway I was pleased because despite running with me-which she dearly loved- she never had any instances of heat issues.  So I think it was a good thing and would do it again if I was running with another houndie. Like me you are probably aware of how quick you can kill a horse if they don't have their salt block so to speak so I learned early on, like you, to take animals electrolyte situation very seriously.

As long as whatever you give them is formulated for dogs and contains no fake sugars, there's no reason not to.  I think it's in the "can't hurt, might help" section.  ;) 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly