Vetspon Hemostatic Gel for dental extractions?

Georgie will be getting a dental later this week. She's 11 and did fine with her previous dental. This clinic is greyhound-savvy.

When I asked about having Amicar or Tranexamic Acid on hand, she said they use Vetspon - a gel they place into an extraction site where it will form a plug to stop bleeding and aid in forming a clot.

Anyone have experience with this?  I'll be checking the senior vet there about whether he still keeps Amicar handy, whether it be pills or the injectable (which he did have to use with another of my greyhounds).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

When I took Conner to the specialty vet for his dental, because he was 12, they used something like that, but I don’t recall the name so I don’t know if it was exactly the same thing. The dental was over four years ago and my old brain… I will go see if I still have the paperwork in a bit. I can tell you that after 14 (!) extractions he had very little bleeding.

Hi!

yes, our board certified veterinary dentist used Vetspon sponges (not gel) on our boy for two carnassial extractions.  She explained to me that it assists in the formation of a blood clot and helps to prevent painful dry socket.  The blood clot also serves as the foundation for bone and soft tissue re-growth.  She seems to use it routinely, for all breeds and extractions.   

She also made a gingival flap and sutured that over the socket.    

We didn’t have any bleeding issues either time and he healed up great.  

Edited by Shannon

Your responses sound encouraging. But always needing something to worry about, I was able to get Tranexamic Acid at my Publix pharmacy. Pharmacist said it is not something he usually has on hand and added if I needed any in the future to give him 3-4 days to get it in. 

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png