Excess peeing

Reaching out before I take Bennie to the vets to see what may be triggering what I feel is excessive peeing, even by male dog standards.

Brief background, Bennie is a 5 yr old rescue no with no racing background. He is a nervous, anxious dog but besides the occasional moment and need for encouragement, has grown in confidence and trust in us over the last two years. Although "house trained", he still does have the occasional accident, but his latest is concerning.

About two hours after his dinner, when it would typically be time for his post dinner toilet trip, I found him laying in a big puddle of pee in his bed. He was completely oblivious to it, I had been sat next to him and there was nothing to suggest he needed to go, or was going... I guided him outside and he had a very long pee, stood there for what felt like an eternity. Took him for a 10/15 min walk to do his other buisness, and there were multiple long-ish pee's, these felt more prolonged than the usual scent marking.

Is this something I should be alarmed about, or write off as an isolated incident? He is eating normal, and usual drinking routine is after a walk or feed. If it wasn't for paying over £200 for treatment for our other Grey yesterday, I'd probably be less hesitant to call a vet tomorrow!

You should contact your vet and have them check for a UTI

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Have you changed anything in his diet that has more water in it? If you contact your vet they will probably give you a bottle to collect his urine in and you can take this time (over the next day or two) to see if it’s a recurring issue or a one off, and decide if you want to go ahead with the urine analysis. Make an appointment for Monday and you can cancel if you don’t feel it’s necessary.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I was thinking along the lines of a UTI, he doesn't show any signs of pain, but his peeing is so frequent... And come to think of it, he does have a tendency to lick down there! Which I believe is another symptom? He stops when I tell him, but will start again.

There has been no change to his diet, it's consistent. We are at the vets for a change of dressing and check up on the other Grey tomorrow, so I'll ask about us taking a sample over the weekend. Your suggestions have confirmed my suspicions, thank you.