Rehoming a grey that bites

Hi everyone. We have an 8.5 year old greyhound who we love dearly, but she has a history of biting. She has bit several adults that got down on her bed with her (while she was asking for pets), and she bit my 5 year old niece who just sat down next to her on the couch (the dog is not allowed on the couch, and I didn't know she was up there). She is not very well-behaved: she steals food, garbage, and household items, and she has bit or snapped at people for trying to take away things she has stolen. I made progress training her, but we now have two young children, and she doesn't get as much attention as she used to, so her behavior has gotten worse. We keep her gated away from the children (but we are worried that one slip-up could mean that she bites one of our children). She is stealing more and more items these days, and we are constantly having to figure out how to stop her from eating or destroying them without getting bit. She ends up being locked up for most of the day because of this. 

She needs attention and training that we can't give her, and we think she'd do well living in a house without children. Is there any chance that a Greyhound group would rehome a dog that bites? Or is it a lost cause? We are so sad at the idea of rehoming her, but the situation is so stressful and dangerous, and we don't know what to do.

My adoption group does rehome biters--I have one. Bites are an extreme reaction. That and the other behavior shows your grey needs more than you can give her.

Some greys just need a home without children or with only one owner. Call your group NOW.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

If the group you adopted her from is still active, contact them. Usually there is a clause in the adoption contract that requires the dog to go back to them if a problem like this arises.  If they are no longer around or she was adopted off the track directly, definitely reach out to a local group.  If you post your location (city and state if in the US) someone here may be able to suggest a contact person who can help.  There is no shame in rehoming, and as much as it hurts us, the dog will definitely be okay.  You are doing the right thing for your dog. The dog simply has space issues and there are many of us who have dealt with that with our own hounds.  If the household is stressful for you due to the situation, it is just as stressful for your hound.  I hope all goes well for you and your hound. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life