Whining when stood still

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading! And all your previous helpful discussions! 

My partner and I adopted a beautiful 4yr old ex racer Rylee 3weeks ago. He is generally settling super well - is already playing with us, sleeps through the night and most of the day and seems quite relaxed most of the time. 

At first he was terrified of our apartment stairs and would freeze but now does it with treats fine. 

The thing that is baffling me is he whines and cries anytime we are out and stop. That can be sit down or just pause for a minute. It can be at the park, in the street, at the shops whatever. I’ve noticed it’s not the context or how busy the place is. If we start walking again he’s happy as Larry. I’ve added a video example where we paused momentarily in the empty park. 

The thing is it means we can’t sit in a park with him, wait for coffee etc and I’m not sure what the solution is, can anyone help with this? Thanks a lot In advance! 

Mine does this too and I’m not certain of the reasons behind it but I deal with it by ignoring him.  He usually does it when he’s in the house, and when he seems like he’s a bit unsure of what to do with himself... maybe when he’s anticipating that something is going to happen but not sure of what. But although he might be a little bored I don’t think there’s anything physically wrong with him and he settles down. Yours may never stop doing this, but I don’t think you need to worry. He’s still new to you and learning what your routines are and may just be vocalising some little anxiety. Give him a couple of weeks. He will get over it. Greyhounds are very good people trainers, and especially for the uninitiated (I count myself here) so if you react to every noise he will associate this with either getting attention or getting what he wants.

You may find it helpful to buy a mat to take with you if you’re planning to step out for coffee to give him somewhere to lie down so you can all take in the world together in a bit of comfort. I know mine definitely settles better if he has a defined area to lie on. Once the bed goes down, he knows we are there for the duration.

Edited by MerseyGrey

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

@MerseyGreythank you! That’s super helpful! He also had a bad stomach today so maybe he is also feeling a bit jittery because of that. I guess as well he’s never just relaxed out and about so maybe as you said doesn’t know what is expected of him. Good to know not to pay attention to it! I maybe have the habit of doting and reassuring him as I don’t like seeing him anxious so I will try to ignore it more. Thank you! 

14 hours ago, Carmie said:

I maybe have the habit of doting and reassuring him as I don’t like seeing him anxious so I will try to ignore it more.

That could be part of the problem. He's a little anxious so he let's you know by whining and you tell him he's doing the right thing by whining when you comfort him. Have some small treats in your pocket and as soon as he's looking disinterested and isn't whining give him one with a bit of praise.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time