Questions about introducing new greyhound to small dog

Our sweet Gracie left us 3 weeks ago. She was almost 14. We got a puppy for our daughter close to the end of Gracie’s life. After losing Gracie I applied to adopt another ex-racer. She is coming home on Tuesday. We are picking her up from the vet who is spaying her, a very different situation from when we brought Gracie home 10 years ago. She is 3 years old. 

It’s been so long since I had a young hound in the house. Our puppy is as well-behaved as can be expected for a pup his age. I don’t tolerate jumping up, nipping or mouthing. He is small, just under 10lbs. How do I go about introducing a post-op hound to our 5 month old puppy? Muzzles, leashed, outside. Any other tips? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!😊👋🏻

I actually am on the same page as you right now...I’m going to get my first Grey this saturday, she’s a 18 month old brindle girl which is described as shy and a bit nervous at first but very lovely. I already have a 4 year old female miniature pinscher at home and I’m pretty nervous about their first meeting even though the Grey is cat friendly and lived in a house with a Jack Russell terrier, other Greys and another large hunting type dog.

I was thinking of going for a short walk in a neutral area with them muzzled/leashed before bringing both dogs into my home. So how did you introduce your dogs and did it go well between them?🙈☺️

Karolin with Yuna (MinPin) & Faye (aka Patchwork Queen, retired racing Greyhound from Ireland)

I never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people...  :paw

- Doris Day

yf-min.jpg

I have a nine year old greyhound who can be nervous, he is blind in one eye and used to being an only dog.  I recently got a whippet puppy who was 8 weeks old when I bought him home.

Best advice I can give, closely monitor their interactions, provide space for your older dog to have some time away from the puppy, separate food and water, walks together (when puppy is able to go out after shots).  I did use a muzzle on my grey for a bit until they got used to each other, no longer need one, initially, I also kept puppy on a leash when he was sharing larger spaces (this helped with housebreaking and making sure puppy did not get too intrusive with grey).  

When I brought the puppy home I introduced them outside the house, puppy did not have full series of shots so we did not walk together until this was done.  Walking them together definitely helped, supervised play time and close supervision in the house.  

There was a time I was not so sure bringing a puppy into the house was my best idea, but it is working out.  Jack my greyhound seems to enjoy having a friend, he is eating better and is perkier.

I make sure Jack has his own space to relax away from the puppy which he appreciates!  Puppy is crate trained and sleeps in the crate at night. There will most likely be grumbles and growls while they work things out.  

Good luck!!

Edited by Scooby172
spacing

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 6:18 AM, Karolintschka said:

Hello there!😊👋🏻

I actually am on the same page as you right now...I’m going to get my first Grey this saturday, she’s a 18 month old brindle girl which is described as shy and a bit nervous at first but very lovely. I already have a 4 year old female miniature pinscher at home and I’m pretty nervous about their first meeting even though the Grey is cat friendly and lived in a house with a Jack Russell terrier, other Greys and another large hunting type dog.

I was thinking of going for a short walk in a neutral area with them muzzled/leashed before bringing both dogs into my home. So how did you introduce your dogs and did it go well between them?🙈☺️

So there have been some delays getting my Grey home due to the winter weather... we should be finally bringing her home on Tuesday! I’ll update about how it goes. 

Update:

She’s here! We brought home our new Grey last night. She was spayed yesterday so she’s a bit out of it. We introduced her and our 5 month old pup outside, first through the fence, then together in the backyard. The little guy barked excitedly and she seemed spooked by that - she tried to get away from him. Inside, we fed the puppy in his crate as usual and let the Greyhound explore the kitchen/dining area a bit before crating her and then letting the pup out. Their crates are side by side and they both slept in their crates last night without incident. Once the Grey is up to it, she will sleep in our bedroom upstairs. Last night she was too out of it to attempt the stairs. 

Congreytulations on your new girl!  It sounds like it went pretty well.  Your girl may need to teach the puppy some dog etiquette about excited barking.  :)  How's it going now?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter