growl and bark in night, sleep aggression?

Could really use some more advice, I am now up to day 5 with Orla, and after 4 night of her sleeping on my bed, yesterday I obviously startled her and she growled and barked. Scared the crap out of me, and she gets in real close with her head right next to mine. I didn't sleep a wink all night, and I really don't feel comfortable having her on the bed again but I'm not sure what to do. 1st night she was here I had a bed on the floor of bedroom but she didn't know what it was and weed on it before we went to sleep, so I had to get her up on the bed so I could keep an eye on her. I cleaned the carpet but I am still worried she might go again there so I am not sure about putting bed back on the floor! She sleeps on the sofa in the day, do you think I can just shut the sitting room door at bed time? I am worried she might toilet in there or chew things up as I won't be able to keep eye on her, but I'm not sure what else to do. She does seem to sleep all night though so far. Any advice would be very gratefully received, I am by myself and feeling somewhat out of control! 

There is a difference of opinion on whether dog should sleep in your bedroom or downstairs in another room. I think as yours has sleep startle she needs to sleep elsewhere.

You have a couple of choices. As you suggested you can shut her in the sitting room, say goodnight to her, switch off the light and leave. You could put the radio on quietly tuned in to a classical music station to give calming background noise. Warn the neighbours as you'll probably have a few nights of whining and barking but you have to be tough and don't go and see her. If you go and comfort her she'll think that's the way to get you to come back and will keep doing it.

Or put her bed in another bedroom, put a child's safety gate across the door and leave both doors open so she can hear you.

Have you started alone training yet?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I would err on the side of caution and have her sleep somewhere else. Don’t be afraid of trying her bed in your room again. Just because it didn’t work straight away that doesn’t mean that it won’t. You might just need to persevere for a few nights. Maybe you could try spending a bit of time in your bedroom during the day with her on her own bed and you on yours so she gets used to where she should be.

You could also try her in the living room without the door shut. Closing the door (at any time) is one of the things that drives mine nuts because he can’t see what’s going on and he is a nosy beast. But they are all different so it’s just a case of seeing what works for you. Above all, don’t panic! This is new for both of you and you are still ironing out the wrinkles 😀

Did you use a cleaning agent without ammonia as this tends to attract dog to pee in the same place. We disinfect with Zoflora if we have an accident which is very good and also smells very nice.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

It's very much personal preference, but I draw the line at letting dogs sleep on the bed, especially if a breed is prone to potentially aggressive behaviours that they can't control.  Our grey doesn't even really go upstairs (he just doesn't like it), but he's allowed everywhere else including on the sofa if he wanted, but he never has got on the sofa, he doesn't like jumping up on things.  At night I send him out to do his business and then he comes in, lies on his bed, I give him two treat biscuits which are the signal that it's bed time, then I turn off the light, close both kitchen doors and leave him.  He knows we're upstairs and haven't gone away.  We don't hear a peep until we go down in the morning (except the occasional yelping in his dreams) :wub:  I would definitely say you should train your dog to sleep in her own bed.  It's no good if you're anxious at night.