Dribbling wee when excited!

Our lovely boy is doing really well. He's come out of this shell a lot, relaxed and is starting to get very excited for various things - dinner, playtime, walks..etc.

However, over the last week or so I've noticed that when he is doing a pre walk zoomie he is peeing a little. 

It's my fault - I love that he gets excited when I say 'walk' and enjoy watching him get up, leap around, bark excitedly...etc. However, I then go to the toilet and get ready and I think I'm giving him too much time to whip himself up into a frenzy! When I go to the toilet he zooms around on the bed and twice I've noticed a wet patch around the size of my palm. 

It's obviously not a full on urination (he's a big boy and when he goes he REALLY goes) so I'm not sure if it's normal for a dog to pee a little when overexcited (I think being excited is still a bit new and alien to him) or if I need to get him checked out. 

He's not struggling to urinate, licking his bits excessively or anything else to imply there may be a problem. 

Any ideas or thoughts gratefully received! 

I think you've answered your own question :D

8 hours ago, Feefee147 said:

I love that he gets excited when I say 'walk' and enjoy watching him get up, leap around, bark excitedly...etc. However, I then go to the toilet and get ready and I think I'm giving him too much time to whip himself up into a frenzy!

He's associating the word walk with exercise and pee time. It's a bit like you going to the toilet before you go out because you always have done and he wants to do the same but the toilet part has been delayed but the sequence has already started and he can't cross his legs any more :blink:  Go to the toilet and get yourself ready before saying the W A  l  K word.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yeah. I figured it was my fault for being a big kid and watching the excitement 🙈😁

i’ve just never known an adult dog dribble wee when excited before. Poor sod. I’ll take him straight out in future and keep an eye out to see if it happens at other times.

Thank you 🥴

Our girls (GSDs) used to pee when they were excited - basically when my mum came home from work, because she was the one they loved the most! Not sure if it’s a submission thing in that case though. I haven’t known Buddy to do this, but then he doesn’t get that excited about his walks.

(I think I would be the same as you as I love to see him get excited about something!)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

It's a really normal reaction, especially in younger dogs.  They just don't have the control of a more mature adult.  They just get SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!! and then they can't calm down and a little pee dribbles out!  :blush 

Definitely try and delay the beginning of the excitement phase of going outside.  Just be aware, he will likely catch on really quickly!!!  I give my girl a command to help her calm herself.  In those times when I know she's going to freak out I try and nip it in the bud by having her lay on her bed and getting some quiet attention.  Then she get a small treat as a reward for being calm.  You can also redirect your dog to a longer chew treat or a toy to play with *before* he gets over excited.

It's sure cute, but you need to help him learn the tools to grow up into well mannered member of the family!  ;) 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 8/29/2020 at 1:58 AM, greysmom said:

It's a really normal reaction, especially in younger dogs.  They just don't have the control of a more mature adult.  They just get SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!! and then they can't calm down and a little pee dribbles out!  :blush 

Definitely try and delay the beginning of the excitement phase of going outside.  Just be aware, he will likely catch on really quickly!!!  I give my girl a command to help her calm herself.  In those times when I know she's going to freak out I try and nip it in the bud by having her lay on her bed and getting some quiet attention.  Then she get a small treat as a reward for being calm.  You can also redirect your dog to a longer chew treat or a toy to play with *before* he gets over excited.

It's sure cute, but you need to help him learn the tools to grow up into well mannered member of the family!  ;) 

He’s five, just turning into a super excitable chap 😁

I’m being sensible and getting ready first before the walk word is mentioned, and it has helped. No little accidents.

So I’m confident it was me causing the problem rather than a urine/bladder issue.

Lesson learned 😁

On 8/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, MerseyGrey said:

Our girls (GSDs) used to pee when they were excited - basically when my mum came home from work, because she was the one they loved the most! Not sure if it’s a submission thing in that case though. I haven’t known Buddy to do this, but then he doesn’t get that excited about his walks.

(I think I would be the same as you as I love to see him get excited about something!)

It is lovely to see the excitement, especially as it’s all still quite new for him and he’s quite a meek, quiet chap most of the time.

GSDs - how lovely!