Is it seizures?

Stella has recently had these instances where she jerks, or jolts like she got an electric shock. I have seen it randomly happen over the last week. Last night it happened about 6 times in a row, with only a few minutes in between. Does this sound like seizures? She has stage 2 kidney disease. 🤔

Unclear.  Try to get a video of the behavior if you can.

It's not a classic symptom so my first thought would probably not be seizures, but every dog is individual in presentation of symptoms.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have been reading about Myoclonus, shock like muscle contractions. Don't know if greys are susceptible to this? It said most commonly seen in distemper,  but she has all her shots, due monday for yearly. She is otherwise seemingly feeling fine. Urg. I'm getting worried. 

I had a hound who did this also, random head /neck spasms. We tried NSAIDs with no avail. Also tried chiro and homeopathic remedies. Nothing helped. I finally took him to a University Vet school where he recieved a MRI. He was diagnosed with hemangeosarcoma that had spread to his lungs. It was hard to to video because it was so erratic and if  I pointed my camera at him for long he became nervous.  When he was seen by the Dr. at the vet school he had his spasms when she lightly touched his face whiskers with a cotton tipped applicater. She was looking for neurological issues.

I hope this not the case for your hound. It was so odd because no one I spoke to had ever heard of this behavior. He was prescribed gabapentin and prednisone which helped a lot for the time we had left.

Please keep us updated and good luck.

Jaime

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

3 hours ago, JaimeL said:

I had a hound who did this also, random head /neck spasms. We tried NSAIDs with no avail. Also tried chiro and homeopathic remedies. Nothing helped. I finally took him to a University Vet school where he recieved a MRI. He was diagnosed with hemangeosarcoma that had spread to his lungs. It was hard to to video because it was so erratic and if  I pointed my camera at him for long he became nervous.  When he was seen by the Dr. at the vet school he had his spasms when she lightly touched his face whiskers with a cotton tipped applicater. She was looking for neurological issues.

I hope this not the case for your hound. It was so odd because no one I spoke to had ever heard of this behavior. He was prescribed gabapentin and prednisone which helped a lot for the time we had left.

Please keep us updated and good luck.

Jaime

Did they tell you why the lung tumors caused the spasms??  Really curious now.

Good Luck today GreyStella  :hope 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I believe the tumors started along his spine which caused the spasms, it then moved to the lungs and spleen.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Stella went to the vet, and they said she is in great shape. They are going to review the video of the jolting, and I am keeping a diary. It's not happening often, and some seem very mild. I'm wondering if its myoclonic seizures. Does anyone know if these progress more seriously, or what I can expect?