New Owner - Aggression Towards Boyfriend?

Hi Everyone!

We adopted Sable (our first greyhound) four weeks tomorrow and she's been really good (we've had some separation anxiety issues but they are 80% resolved now!) but this week it's like something's changed in her.

She's now growled at my boyfriend 4 times in the past week or so, the first time was when all three of us were on the sofa and he went and sat next to her (she was awake) and normally she is fine with this but she let out a growl. At first we weren't sure if we heard it right so he went to sit next to her again and she let out another growl. I totally get that she could have seen this as an invasion of space, but we've been doing it since we got her and had no issues.

Second time him and I were sat at the dinner table and she was on the floor and my BF let out a sort of high pitched noise (we were both just messing about) and she looked up and first howled, then barked, then growled. 

Third time was last night - my boyfriend was lying on the floor (stretching his back out) and she came over to him sniffing his head and wagging her tail. Then out of nowhere she growled again then when he moved away she went into play mode and got her toy and zoomed around. So we weren't sure if this was a playful growl, but she chose to come over to him so not sure why that would warrant a growl?

Then the last time was this morning, I get up earlier than my BF so I took her downstairs for a wee and came back up to get ready for work. Then 15 mins later my BF woke up and just sat up in bed and Sable got all stiff and barked at him. 

We really don't want this to escalate further, and we can't understand why she is only doing this to my BF and not me? She will let me do anything to her.

Thanks so much in advance!

First off, you need to change your mindset.  A growl is just a vocalization - one of the few dogs can make - to express themselves and communicate with those around them.  It isn't aggressive or angry in and of itself, and like most sounds from dogs is very dependent on the situation.

I would say this behavior is beginning now because she is settling into her new home and feeling more comfortable, so she's starting to express herself more.  Many dogs, of all breeds, sometimes have difficulty with men (especially if they have beards, for whatever reason, but not always).  They are larger, often move more strongly, have deeper more threatening voicess, and they often aren't as involved in the day to day care of the dogs in their homes.

So they first thing your bf can do is to do more for the dog - walking, feeding, brushing, turnouts, play and training.  He also needs to move a little slower and make sure your dog is awake and aware of him (specifically) before he moves into her space.  The last thing is to NOT take her growling personally - it's just communication - but of the behavior continues or escaltes beyond where you are comfortable, contact your group for a recommendation for a certified canine behaviorist, who uses *only* positive reinforcement, in your area to come and observe your interactions and give you some better advice in person.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

13 minutes ago, greysmom said:

First off, you need to change your mindset.  A growl is just a vocalization - one of the few dogs can make - to express themselves and communicate with those around them.  It isn't aggressive or angry in and of itself, and like most sounds from dogs is very dependent on the situation.

I would say this behavior is beginning now because she is settling into her new home and feeling more comfortable, so she's starting to express herself more.  Many dogs, of all breeds, sometimes have difficulty with men (especially if they have beards, for whatever reason, but not always).  They are larger, often move more strongly, have deeper more threatening voicess, and they often aren't as involved in the day to day care of the dogs in their homes.

So they first thing your bf can do is to do more for the dog - walking, feeding, brushing, turnouts, play and training.  He also needs to move a little slower and make sure your dog is awake and aware of him (specifically) before he moves into her space.  The last thing is to NOT take her growling personally - it's just communication - but of the behavior continues or escaltes beyond where you are comfortable, contact your group for a recommendation for a certified canine behaviorist, who uses *only* positive reinforcement, in your area to come and observe your interactions and give you some better advice in person.

Thank you so much! One thing we did think as well, we've recently started her on a new food and have started integrating it to her old. But it has a much higher protein level (30%) which could be giving her more energy - we noticed especially last night that she seems uptight and wound up all evening. I've since read that this may be too high a protein content for Grey's, so could it be this which is contributing??

It's so hard not to take it personally but she's so sweet natured, I don't think she would ever actually hurt him (but we want to nip it in the bud before it get's close to that). We will try your advice, he does already walk her in the mornings and feed her in the morning, but I get home first so I generally feed her in the evening. Maybe we could see if he feeds her in the evenings as well and just deal with a whiny dog for an hour or so?? :') 

2 hours ago, jowright95 said:

Thank you so much! One thing we did think as well, we've recently started her on a new food and have started integrating it to her old. But it has a much higher protein level (30%) which could be giving her more energy - we noticed especially last night that she seems uptight and wound up all evening. I've since read that this may be too high a protein content for Grey's, so could it be this which is contributing??

30% protein is for racing greyhounds. Retired greyhounds protein content should not exceed about 20%. Feeding in excess of recommended protein levels long term can cause kidney dysfunction later in life." https://regapgreyhounds.org/caring-for-your-greyhound/

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Too high a protein level can also cause gas and tummy pains, which could contribute to her restlessness and anxiety.

Most pet dogs don't need a high protAgility - unless you're going to be training for performance sports like lure coursing or agility, the extra, unused protein is just excreted.  You end up paying a premium for high protein pee!  ;)

In addition, many higher protein foods are also grain free, and until the FDA sorts out why dogs are developing heart issues after eating grain free food, I would stick with a good mid level, @20% protein, grain inclusive food. 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you everyone. I've stopped using the food and gone back to her old one for the time being until I can find a more suitable alternative! 

So the plan to try to help the issue is my OH is giving her treats and affection every now and then and I've reduced the affection I'm giving her, and she's already started to follow him around the house more instead of me. We've also stopped her getting on the sofa, I'm thinking a 1 week ban and see how we get on with her, then slowly start allowing her back up but only when we say she can.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Can't thank you enough for your help!

Sounds good to me. I agree that as has already been said, if you have had her for a month this is probably her getting more comfortable with her new life, and seeing what boundaries she might be able to push. I can still remember at this stage coming into the living room and finding my old dog Doc sitting on the chaiselongue (forbidden territory because there wasn't room for both of us on it), looking very pleased with himself! I was hard put to it not to laugh but instead look stern and tell him no, this rule wasn't going to change.

I wonder if for the incident where your OH was lying on the ground, and also perhaps when he squealed at the table, she was simply trying to incite play? To complicate the issue, some greyhounds will also do "happy growling" - Doc was one of them. Usually it would be when he was being petted. It was a breathier sort of sound than a normal dog growl, more like a cat purring, and his eyes would look soft and loving, but nevertheless the first time he did so it gave me quite a turn!

Anyway,  best play safe while you are all still getting to know each other.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.