Long time no see!

Hawthorn

Hi everyone :)

I haven't been on here for a couple of years. 

My name is Kay aka Hawthorn

After my  beloved litter mates Sunny and Sophie passed away in the summer of 2016 I decided to set up a luxury home boarding service for greyhounds - Always Greyhounds Home Boarding - at my home in Hertfordshire, UK. This took off really quickly and I was soon inundated with lovely greyhounds and their equally lovely owners - I insist on only having lovely clients. ;) I also have a website for this service: Always Greyhounds Home Boarding

I also qualified as an Emotion Code practitioner and run this alongside my boarding service: New Waves of Light. This work enables me to release negative emotions and other negative energies that have become 'trapped' in the physical body as a result of traumatic experiences etc and which, if left, can cause emotional and also physical issues. I do this work for people and also greyhounds. 

My most recent creation is a house sitting service for greyhounds called Greyhounds With Love House Sitting where I will stay in the greyhounds' home 24/7 to take care of them whilst their owners are away. I will consider assignments anywhere in the world for house sitting. I'm very excited about this latest venture as it means I get to travel to great locations and meet wonderful people whilst taking care of their beloved greyhounds.

In the two years since I was last here a lot has happened in my personal life and consequently I've discovered a newfound love of freedom, travel and adventure. In fact, I'm very excited to tell you that I'll be travelling to the US for the very first time in September this year. I'll be staying in Medford, Oregon, for seven days and although three of those days will be taken up with a retreat, I'm hoping to do some sight seeing on the other days.  There are lots of firsts for me here: first time to the US (have wanted to for a long time!), first time on a long haul flight :blink:, first time flying alone :huh and first time flying for many years. It feels a bit daunting, as there are so many new things happening all at once, but I know I'll be OK and that there will always be kind people around to help me if needs be.

I'd really love to visit the coast whilst I'm there - really fancy walking bare foot in the sand - hope it'll be warm enough then! Would be lovely to meet up with some greyhounds and their humans whilst I'm there too if possible. :) If anyone has any suggestions or lives in the area and would like to meet up I'd be so happy to hear from you ... :wub:

Will add a photo when I can remember how .... :) 

Edited by Hawthorn
Wanted to add something

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Hi Hawthorn!

i have a friend in Hitchin and might have to pay a visit if I’m down that way with Buddy. I can’t resist the temptation to stroke other people’s dogs. I am a crazy greyhound lady.

i went to Oregon years and years ago and visited a place on the coats called Astoria. It’s been in lots of films but it was special for me as Goonies was filmed there and I love that film! We also visited a beautiful lighthouse...Yaquina Head or Yaquina Bay. I’m not sure which one but it was spooky! That’s my only contribution I’m afraid. I think you might be too late in the year for whale watching but maybe someone more local can put you straight. 

Have a fab holiday!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

9 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Hi Hawthorn!

i have a friend in Hitchin and might have to pay a visit if I’m down that way with Buddy. I can’t resist the temptation to stroke other people’s dogs. I am a crazy greyhound lady.

i went to Oregon years and years ago and visited a place on the coats called Astoria. It’s been in lots of films but it was special for me as Goonies was filmed there and I love that film! We also visited a beautiful lighthouse...Yaquina Head or Yaquina Bay. I’m not sure which one but it was spooky! That’s my only contribution I’m afraid. I think you might be too late in the year for whale watching but maybe someone more local can put you straight. 

Have a fab holiday!

Thanks MerseyGrey! You're very welcome to come for a visit. We have a lovely nature reserve across the road which is great for walks. Thanks for the info about Astoria and Yaquina - I'll look them up.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Welcome back!

Medford is quite far south from the Portland metro area where I live - you'll almost be at the California border.  It's possible to get to the coast from there, but you'll be driving a bit through rather wild country.  Better to come back north to one of the main highways going west and go that way.  The south coast is beautiful but with fewer actual beaches - lots of cliffs and bays rather than long stretches of beach.  If you look on a map, from about Newport north you will generally find more sand.

But you are close to some really cool areas.  Ashland Oregon is the home to a world famous Shakespeare and theatrical festival.  Crater Lake National Park is definitely worth a visit and should be spectacular that time of year.  And Mt Shasta in northern California is closer than the beach!  There are many wineries there offering tours and tastings.

It will still be pretty warm there in September.  The south valley is much higher elevation and much drier.  We haven't had many forest fires this year, but it could be smokey if one breaks out between now and then.

If you're back in the Portland area around the 21st our adoption group is having their annual picnic that day and you would definitely be welcome to join us!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

20 hours ago, greysmom said:

Welcome back!

Medford is quite far south from the Portland metro area where I live - you'll almost be at the California border.  It's possible to get to the coast from there, but you'll be driving a bit through rather wild country.  Better to come back north to one of the main highways going west and go that way.  The south coast is beautiful but with fewer actual beaches - lots of cliffs and bays rather than long stretches of beach.  If you look on a map, from about Newport north you will generally find more sand.

But you are close to some really cool areas.  Ashland Oregon is the home to a world famous Shakespeare and theatrical festival.  Crater Lake National Park is definitely worth a visit and should be spectacular that time of year.  And Mt Shasta in northern California is closer than the beach!  There are many wineries there offering tours and tastings.

It will still be pretty warm there in September.  The south valley is much higher elevation and much drier.  We haven't had many forest fires this year, but it could be smokey if one breaks out between now and then.

If you're back in the Portland area around the 21st our adoption group is having their annual picnic that day and you would definitely be welcome to join us!

Thank you so much Greysmom for all of the information! I won't be driving as although I'm entitled to a rental car free with my flight package I don't fancy driving in a strange to me country, especially on my own. I think I may have to ask the hotel if they can suggest something - coach trip or something. I really do fancy a trip to the coast so will have to see if they have anything on offer. I'd have loved to be able to come to your adoption group's picnic but I'm flying home on the 18th. Maybe another time! Do you know what shopping will be like in Medford? I fancy shopping for clothes whilst I'm there! 

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg