Untreatable Heart Worm--Experiences?

We're thinking of "fostering" a beagle who's heart worm is too advanced to treat, we'd be his hospice care/bucket list providers. Any experiences with this and what to expect? The internet seems to think it wouldn't put Henry and Leo at risk (plus they're on heart worm prevention), but is that right?

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I don't see how. Heartworm is transmitted by infected mosquitos.

No input on what to expect, but you're very kind to consider this.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It would be a very short 'hop' for a mosquito to go from an infected dog to a healthy dog in the same home. Also some heartworms have developed a resistance to some of the preventatives now so they are no longer as effective as they used to be.

Thank you, someone local wanted him (we were 3 hours away), so I hope he will spend his days being spoiled. I only heard about him because my friend fosters for the local animal shelter where he was, it's sad how often they get dogs who haven't been receiving heart worm pills, for this little guy it was too late.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.