Pinched Nerve Possibly

My greyhound sometimes gets up and starts to yelp and won't put his right leg down and whimpers for a while as if though he gets this pinch nerve. This happen a month ago I went to the vet and they gave pain killers and inflammatory pills and it went away. It happen a week ago and gave him the same meds it went away and he went to daycare last Saturday and ran with his brother and jumped etc. He was fine. Today he started again with the pain and his right leg so I gave him a vetprofin I had and gabapentin. Do you think this is a pinch nerve and why does it keep coming back. I happen to have a vet appt tommorrow anyways for both my grey's. Has this ever happen to anyone.

No. His leg does not swell up or different in tempature from the other. He does already have an appt with the vet next Monday for a neck xray and teeth cleaning. Si center they have to put under I want his teeth to be cleaned. He is fine once he is given pills for inflammatory, nothing is wrong with him. But I need to get to the bottom of this. I am also looking to put them on something for joints. What brands does everyone use for their greyhounds?

It’s the front leg? I may be a disc in his neck. Bulging disc compressing the cord, IVDD perhaps. I would switch to a harness if you haven’t already. An mri will only be the diagnostic means to determine the cause of the pain. Wish you the best.

It’s the front leg? I may be a disc in his neck. Bulging disc compressing the cord, IVDD perhaps. I would switch to a harness if you haven’t already. An mri will only be the diagnostic means to determine the cause of the pain. Wish you the best.

This. And he definitely should not be allowed to run & play per normal until you find out what it is. Sounds like your vet is not really too interested in doing that. Maybe he is not real familiar with greyhounds. Based on my experience sounds SERIOUS. My first thought was a disc issue. If so there really is no way to "fix" it like it was before and you will always have to manage it with respect to his activity level etc. He also should NOT be allowed to do any jumping until you find out what is going on. Also by all means switch to harness as tbhounds said so as not to aggravate that neck. FYI greyhounds often will limp due to a spine injury. You can't know without diagnostic work but my moneys on IVDD. There is usually nothing at all wrong with the leg/shoulder. If it is a disc issue they could even suddenly go down paralyzed. I have had that happen. I have also had them not go down with it. Point is it is serious if that is in fact what the problem is. For joints etc. check out Springtime's "Fresh Factors". They are highly regarded. https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/fresh-factors/Natural-Dog-Supplements

Edited by racindog