Alone Training - How To

Hi all! Just joined the forum as it has been a wealth of information. We just picked up our new little girl on Sunday, she has been super quiet and Velcro, which is understandable. My heart goes out to her as she went from the kennel to foster to here and never been alone. We have done lots of reading about alone training, I am just confused on one step. If we crate her (which she seems ok in) and then leave for a minute, come back, etc, Do we keep her in her crate as we keep coming and going, or leave for a minuet, come back, let her out, then 10 mins later put her back in and leave for 2 minutes, then let her out again, etc?

Thanks so much!

I would keep her in her crate until you are able to leave for 10 minutes or more, or for the run of that AT session.

Remember, the entire trick of alone training is to return *before* she becomes anxious. You basically want to make her bored with all the coming and going, and what goes on beforehand, so she doesn't start ramping up her level of anxiety. So alone training in our house started with me (and my husband) just carrying around our car keys, making them jingle, setting them down and picking them up - until they don't react to it anymore. Then add the next thing - my purse and DHs jacket - until no reaction. And so on, until you can walk through the door - shut it and come right back in - until bored. Then start extending the time.

If you can set up a camera or Skype session so you can watch her after you elave it can help you with timing a lot.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly