Ear Tattoo Questions

Guest ICTCoder

Guest ICTCoder

This is a weird question. But I'm curious about who tattoos the greyhounds. Is it the breeder? I understand there is a birth date and the order of their birth in one ear and something else i nthe other (not sure). How is the tattoo applied? I've heard its a gun that writes the tattoo out from what is entered on a keypad. I'm curious about the cost. Does anyone know what it costs to apply these tattoos? I've always thought that they would be cheaper than microchips but maybe they are more expensive because they are readily readable by the eye and so more useful? My hunch is that after the purchase of the equipment it would be fairly cheap to operate.

Thanks for any info you can provide to me!

Lots of them are no longer legible as the dog gets older or depending on fur color or thickness. Sometimes you can make them out with a flashlight but not always. We have seen many wild goose chases here when trying to identify a found dog using a tattoo.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest ICTCoder

Thanks to everyone who posted with information. I did a quick google search and saw that these tattoo devices are pretty inexpensive. 20 bux for the pliers and like 70 bux for a kit. I shared the tattoo vide with some friends.

the left ear is the litter number registered with the NGA. It's the same for every puppy in the litter. The right ear is month and year of birth. The letter has nothing to do with birth order, just the order in which the pup was picked up to be tattooed. For example Buddy was 56A - 57178. He was born in May 2006. Harley was 94D - 29043. He was born in September 1994. Tattoos do not include decade. Last I knew NGA tattoos were done the item shown above. You just switch out the letters on the plates for the letter.

I Had a dog come through with his litter number in both ears and He was registered that way. Things can get hectic with a bunch of wiggly pups.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam,

I think you mean Buddy was May 2006.

As far as who does the tattooing it would be whomever has the pup at 3 months of age. If I had a farm and a female to be artificially inseminated I would have to take her to a farm that is approved to do artificial insemination. Once that is done the person that owns the female would take her back to his or her farm and whelp the litter there. So it isn't the breeder that would do the tattooing in this case. I would say more often than not the person that does the insemination does not do the tattooing.

If you look here

https://www.ngagreyhounds.com/images/userfiles/file/20181205184620_6_WhelpingsWinter19.pdf

You can see who did the insemination and who collected the semen. I would say most of those pups were not whelped at the place the female was bred/inseminated.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, I recently adopted "Charlie" from the local shelter. Poor thing had been a stray on the streets when they brought him in. He stole my heart at first site. I am trying to learn more about him. He only has a tattoo in his right ear. H1713 is the number. Can't seem to find anything on the other sites to identify him. Was hoping maybe you could. Anything bits of information would be wonderful.