Alt Liver Values

I need some help regarding ALT liver values. What causes them to climb? Is it caused by a toxin, a particular food/minerals/supplement, medication - if so what types? Just think of this one value exclusively. Some clarity would be appreciated, I'm having trouble finding the info I need.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

George's ALT elevated when the vet, in a desperate attempt to help me get him to stop peeing in the house (her theory was he was anxious) put him on Valerian Root extract. Which all of the hepatitis (liver is involved??) web site and chat boards say anyone with a compromised liver should NEVER take!

So she doesn't recommend it anymore, but my point is, an "all natural" supplement made his ALT go nuts.

It was back to normal 30 days later when we retested after stopping the Valerian root.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

ALT is an enzyme that is released with liver cells die. The normal range reflects a normal, expected amount of cell turnover. Elevated levels indicate that higher numbers of liver cells are dying.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Miriam's ALT started climbing in March of 2016. We started her on Denmarin and Vitamin E supplements hoping this would help bring down the values. We also added Milk Thistle. For two months her ALT came down slightly, but not into the normal range. When they finally were twice what was considered normal we took her to the UW Vet School for a biopsy. Through the biopsy it was determined that she had Copper Storage disease. She was on penicillamine to chelate the copper from her liver for 9 months then we switched to zinc for another 3 months. In October of 2017 her ALT finally came into the normal range. We continue to give her Denosyl, Milk Thistle, and Vitamin E. She will have to be on a low copper diet for the rest of her life. We also checked the copper levels in our water. We knew they would be high because we have copper plumbing.

Miriam is now on a home cooked diet that was initially created by Veterinary Nutrition department at the University of Minnesota Vet School. We have prescription diet food in case there is a reason I can't get some homemade diet made.

She now only goes to the vet for blood work every 6 months. Her next visit will be in June.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

• 1 month later...

I did a quick search on the forum and this particular medication has no results! Anyone familiar with Semintra? My search says it's to reduce protein levels in urine due to chronic kidney disease. Any experience?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015