Ketogenic Diet

Has anyone had their greyhound on a ketogenic diet for health reasons or know of anyone who has? I'm seriously considering putting Bowie on a ketogenic diet now that she has completed her final round of the osteo vaccine.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Why? From what I remember, a Keto diet is supposed to force your body to burn fat instead of using carbohydrates. I'm not sure a dogs physiology works the same way as people. And it seems to me that a greyhound would be a poor candidate due to low levels of body fat anyway.

Many people experimented with low carb diets for their osteo dogs back when we were dealing with it in 2011. It was advanced under the thought that cancerous cells would use carb energy to grow and multiply, but I believe there were studies done that said there was no particular value seen with low carb diets for cancer survivors.

If you want a good diet contact CharliesDad. He and his wife devised a whole home cooked feeding regimen for Charlie that they believe contributed to his longevity after amp/chemo. The link I have to their blog doesn't work anymore.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There are studies showing that it pretty effectively starves cancer cells. Check out https://www.ketopetsanctuary.com

I asked Bowie's oncologist about it and he said he was positive about it. I've read all sorts of good things about it with other dogs, but don't know if any greyhounds on it.

It's a low carb, low protein, high fat raw diet.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

A question to Dr Couto seems in order, as I think he was one of those investigating the low carb issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

Many vets, even oncologists, don't know much about ketogenic diet so for dogs with cancer. I think I'll make another appointment with Dr. Alice Villalobos, she has experience with greyhounds with osteo as well as experience with ketogenic diets, I doubt Dr. Couto has a lot of experience with the Keto diet, I've never heard him speak of it or write about it, thus far. I saw Dr. V last year for a second opinion on supplements and treatment after chemo ended, she was fantastic. She was interviewed in the Cancer in Dogs series, much to my surprise. I'm going to switch Bowie soon. I have a friend who is putting her greys on a ketogenic maintenance diet to try and prevent cancer and on the anti-cancer diet for her foster who we think had cancer in his toe (which was amputated, waiting on pathology report).

Greyhounds seem to be more susceptible to pancreatitis when they are fed high fat diets. Recent studies seem to pull away from the low carbs for cancer as it seems that research is now identifying that protein is used as much if not more than carbohydrates by the cancer cells to grow,

Pancreatitis typically comes up when the fats in question are cooked, not when they are raw.

I searched this on google and cannot find anything suggests this except statements from a "raw food maker" that do not appear to be backed up by studies. Would appreciate links that you might share ...