Cadi Injection For Allergies

Lola has been an itchy girl since she came home in August. It began with her anus. She did have hooks and has taken 4 rounds of Panacur. I'm taking a fecal sample to the vet on March 26th. Anal glands are not the issue.

Lately though, the itching has spread to her flanks, belly, and face. All of her skin looks healthy - no lumps, bumps or rashes. Before we put her on an HP prescription diet, the vet offered the CADI injection and it appears to be working. The effects can last a month or more at $122.00 a pop, which is, thank God, within my reach.

Anyone had experience with the CADI (Canine Atopic Dermatitis Immunotherapeutic) injection?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

No experience as I've not heard of it before, but it sounds a lot like Apoquel pills. My two cents is that if you don't know the origin of the allergy, then you're just covering it up by suppressing your dog's immune system response. This *could* have far-reaching consequences later in life.

A food trial is easier and cheaper by far, though it does take a bit of patience to do properly.

If you've already done this and I've forgotten, I'm sorry. FWIW, Apoquel did help our Lilly with her allergies, but in the end I was not comfortable with what the drug was doing to her to achieve the result. After her food trial, she has ended up on an extremely limited diet (no single atom of chicken anything ever), and is doing really well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No experience as I've not heard of it before, but it sounds a lot like Apoquel pills. My two cents is that if you don't know the origin of the allergy, then you're just covering it up by suppressing your dog's immune system response. This *could* have far-reaching consequences later in life.

A food trial is easier and cheaper by far, though it does take a bit of patience to do properly.

If you've already done this and I've forgotten, I'm sorry. FWIW, Apoquel did help our Lilly with her allergies, but in the end I was not comfortable with what the drug was doing to her to achieve the result. After her food trial, she has ended up on an extremely limited diet (no single atom of chicken anything ever), and is doing really well.

I think CADI is equivalent to Apoquel. I, too, am concerned about using this drug lifelong. It's not a cure. It's symptom management. This would be acceptable if there were no other alternative.

Putting Lola on a hydrolyzed protein (HP), prescription diet will be a mission. Her diet would be extremely limited to the point that we'll have to find alternative flea, tick and heartworm prevention. She will no longer be able to use Trifexis and will probably need topical flea/tick prevention and another brand of heartworm tablet. HP kibble is expensive; about $87 for a 20 lb. bag which, again, is not a problem. She'd be on the HP diet for a time to see if it works for her.

I did the elimination diet - started with chicken, then beef, then soy - but she still itched. It could be inhaled or environmental allergies, too.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Just FYI, Lilly can't even eat the hydrolyzed food made with chicken, and the preservative made from chicken fat will cause her to have diarrhea. Finding a food without *any* chicken is very difficult. And don't get me started on treats! She has two treats and one food right now she can tolerate without diarrhea, horrible stomach squeaks, and red, itchy skin.

I hope you can find something that works for Lola. Supressing her immune system seems extreme, but I've been there! Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It might make more sense to see a derm vet that can perform allergy testing. My boy was the poster dog for atopic dermatitis-he had rashes, scratched all day causing self trauma etc.... Apoquel helped the symptoms but, I wanted to find the cause. To rule out food insensitivity’s a food trial needed to be done. According to the derm vet that was the only way to find the culprit-she claimed food allergy testing is just smoke and mirrors. I also had environment testing done-turns out my poor Stan was allergic to a ton of things-many I couldn’t eliminate from his environment (one of the triggers was me!). He was started on the allergy vaccine (sublingual drops) and after the expected time I did notice a good response. He still needed frequent bathing to wash the topical allergens off and during some flairs he did take apoquel but, he was much more comfortable and became a happier dog.

It might make more sense to see a derm vet that can perform allergy testing. My boy was the poster dog for atopic dermatitis-he had rashes, scratched all day causing self trauma etc.... Apoquel helped the symptoms but, I wanted to find the cause. To rule out food insensitivity’s a food trial needed to be done. According to the derm vet that was the only way to find the culprit-she claimed food allergy testing is just smoke and mirrors. I also had environment testing done-turns out my poor Stan was allergic to a ton of things-many I couldn’t eliminate from his environment (one of the triggers was me!). He was started on the allergy vaccine (sublingual drops) and after the expected time I did notice a good response. He still needed frequent bathing to wash the topical allergens off and during some flairs he did take apoquel but, he was much more comfortable and became a happier dog.

It's a mission no matter how you look at it. Glad your baby is better. Well worth all our efforts as long as our hounds are healthy and happy.