Going In House

Guest Jewelberry

Guest Jewelberry

We adopted for the first time last November she's been doing very well but she has taken to pooping in the house, eating it, and then throwing it back up. We have crated her and she's done fine and then we started crating her and she would almost hurt herself trying to get out of the crate so we are leaving her uncrated and letting her outside to potty and doing everything we are supposed to do and we still cannot break her from doing this. Help!

My first suggestion is a visit to the vet to make sure that there are no underlying health issues. Eating feces (coprophagia) may suggest a health issue. Next suggestion, dispose of the crate. Confine your dog to a small, safe, dog-proofed area of the house. Baby gates are very useful. Go back to Housebreaking 101. Take your dog out to potty. Bring high-value treats with you - cheese, cooked bits of chicken, pieces of hot dog, etc. The second she's done doing her business, give her a handful of treats and praise, praise, praise! Repeat the procedure each potty time until she gets it. It took my Lola 3 months to be completely housebroken.

Inappropriate elimination may also be a symptom of separation anxiety. I highly suggest Patricia B. McConnell's booklet, I'll Be Home Soon. It's a simple, easy to follow guide on how to treat S.A. that really works if you're patient and persistent.

Good luck with your girl!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Vet visit.

Have you ever caught her going in the house and scolded or punished her?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Third suggestion is 1) buy and dose her with "Forbid." It works for some dogs (makes them not want to eat their poop). Fourth suggestion: get a stool guard for the muzzle and make her wear it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck