Poop Is A Four Letter Word

Tessie had a nasty case of hooks too but no diarrhea. My Grace had nasty bowel movements when she first arrived. She tested positive for babesia, a tick born disease. After treatment, her stools got better almost instantly.

Have you done blood work for your pup? Id likely do blood work and have the vet send a sample off to be tested for TBDs.

When Fen was sick, over cooked pasta and boiled lean ground beef helped. Chicken and rice never worked for him.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Tessie had a nasty case of hooks too but no diarrhea. My Grace had nasty bowel movements when she first arrived. She tested positive for babesia, a tick born disease. After treatment, her stools got better almost instantly.

Have you done blood work for your pup? Id likely do blood work and have the vet send a sample off to be tested for TBDs.

When Fen was sick, over cooked pasta and boiled lean ground beef helped. Chicken and rice never worked for him.

We did a full blood work up on our last vet visit 3 weeks ago, primarily to monitor his liver from all the de-worming meds but also to check for tick borne diseases and the like. He's good on that front. Phew.

Since I started this topic, we have completed another 7 day course of flagyl, which finished Saturday morning. I'm still in the process of transitioning to ProPlan Sensitive Stomach from the Kirkland Chicken and Rice. We have phased out the white rice and the boiled chicken.

So, his current diet is now 3/4 cup Kirkland + 1 cup ProPlan, moistened + 1 1/2 TBSP Olewo Carrots, re-hydrated. That is 2x per day.

On the plus side, his poop is improved. Most of them can be picked up, although some are still loose, but nothing like before.

On the minus side, he poops about 5-6 times a day now. I would assume I'm overfeeding but he is not gaining any weight?

We are going to give him the Advantage Multi on 1/31, give him a dose of Drontal on 2/1 and do his tick meds on 2/2. We'll get a fecal test on 2/10 and pray that the hook worms are gone or have a least dropped out of the 3+ territory.

Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All - I thought I'd throw in an update on this because folks are always looking for hookworm remedies. The 2/10 fecal check came back with zero ova detected, so our boy is hookworm free! We gave him the Advantage Multi followed within 24 hours by the Drontal. He threw up the Drontal about 5 hours after we gave it to him. The vet said we could try to re-dose it and they were going to prescribe an anti-nausea med on top, but we said we'd wait until the next time. Drontal makes him crazy. He had a vet appointment on 2/10 for some vaccines so I just had the fecal test done to see if he had dropped into the 2+ territory and to our surprise, he came back clean. With the worms no longer stealing his nutrition, he has gained 4 lbs, up to 70. I'd like to hold him at that weight.

He is finishing a 21 day course of flagyl 250mg. We have bolstered this with FortiFlora and Olewo Carrots. We had been giving him 4 cups of Pro Plan Salmon & Rice per day, but are going to reduce that to 3 1/2. We are going to split dinner into 2 servings, 1 cup at 3:30 and 1 cup around 6:30 to ease the burden on his digestion.

His digestive track still has a way to go, but I feel like there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

I have read that you need two negative fecals to consider a dog hookworm free. I would recommend waiting three weeks and taking in another sample, just to be sure. I am glad they are gone, they are nasty!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I have read that you need two negative fecals to consider a dog hookworm free. I would recommend waiting three weeks and taking in another sample, just to be sure. I am glad they are gone, they are nasty!

Good advice. After discussing with the vet, we are going to go ahead with the Advantage Multi and the Drontal at the beginning of March and do another check around March 10th. It seemed odd that the hook worms dropped from 3+ to zero, but he was due to catch a break.

He finished the metronidazole yesterday so we'll see what happens. If his stomach continues as it is, they want to do tests for EPI and IBD. Ugh

• 1 month later...

Is there a particular song or dance that goes with this? 2 in a row!

Thank you for bringing a fecal sample. We have gotten those results back and no ova or parasites were seen at this time. Please continue your monthly dose of flea, tick & heartworm preventative.

:pepper

Woohoo!

I have a ways to go--still weeks out from first post-treatment fecal check, but hoping for good results.

Now, how are his poops? Any difference? I guess I'm not expecting much, but hoping for them to be a little better.

Woohoo!

I have a ways to go--still weeks out from first post-treatment fecal check, but hoping for good results.

Now, how are his poops? Any difference? I guess I'm not expecting much, but hoping for them to be a little better.

No change on that front I'm afraid. Still 1 good, 2-4 bad, 1-3 terrible. I've decided with this continued good news I'm just going to give him a break from the non-standard meds.

We'll keep going with the Frontline and the Advantage Multi. But I'm going to give him a break from other meds for a month or two and just deal with the results. I might do another box of Fortiflora, although it didn't make a huge difference. My vet suggested Proviable, so perhaps that instead.

I'm transitioning him to IAMS green bag mini chunks from Pro Plan Salmon and Rice sensitive stomach, just to see if it makes any change. The vet said we could try Royal Canin Hydrolyed Protein, but that might require me to get a second job. I might try a bag of it, but I couldn't afford to make that his primary food.

Between being with us nearly 5 months now and improving his health, he is becoming a new dog. He is more impish. Last evening he stole my hat. When I was petting him, he was trying to bite me (playfully, not hard) which is a recent trait. It is enjoyable to watch him transition.

Here we've got 3-5 poops/day with the first usually pretty good and the others sort of variable. I'm switching from Taste of the Wild to Kirkland (Costco), which has dried beet pulp like the IAMS. Percy didn't like the IAMS at all (offered it twice and he ate the old kibble and left the IAMS behind as much as he could), but likes Kirkland. He's been rejecting the olewo carrots, so I'm just going to see how he does on the Kirkland. I'd love to just give him kibble without carrots or anything else. He gets his next round of panacur and drontal and advantage multi in about 10 days.

Mine will eat anything, anyplace, anytime EXCEPT Drontal. That, we had to wrap in ham to get in him.

We started with the Kirkland food and transitioned to the Sensitive Stomach just because we were trying to put his stomach right. I'm going to give the IAMS green bag a shot, but if that doesn't improve anything we might just go back to the Kirkland brand.

We still give about 3 tbsp of the Olewo Carrots per day. Olewo also makes a dehydrated beet product, but I have not tried that.