New Rescue

Guest jessw2780

Guest jessw2780

Good morning! So happy to find this group as we just adopted a rescue greyhound last Sunday.

He has had a couple accidents in the house, poop only, when I didn't get him out quick enough in the morning.

Just 10 min ago, he woke me up and I ran into the bathroom super fast to just wash my face and I came back out and he had pooped on the floor.

Is this a trait in greys, that when they wake you up to go out it means get up super fast and get them out?

Thank you in advance for all your advice and answers.

That's not a greyhound thing. It's a dog thing. Your dog is not housebroken. He does not understand, or care, about your morning routine at this point!

Maybe it's just me, but the FIRST thing I do in the morning is take out the dog. I know how I would feel if I was 100% dependant on someone to allow me to relieve myself!

As you two learn each other's routines, things will ease up. But for now you'd probably be best off setting an alarm and taking him out BEFORE he resorts to pooping inside.

Cues can be very subtle, and this dog has NO IDEA he has to wake someone up and tell them "I have to poop." You need to take him out before it's urgent.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

good luck house breaking in these conditions. shovel a potty area and walk way for the two of you to get there. check out some house breaking videos until you find one that will work for you- on lead, contained area and remember to praise and reward with a treat. some dogs have trouble finding a spot in the snow, but if you are structured, put him on a schedule and return home after the good deed is completed you WILL succeed. good luck! no one washes up w/ a new dog in the house- just go for it!

The dog does not understand that you want a clean face before he gets to poop. If he woke you up, he is trying to let you know that he needs to go. I agree with Susan. Get up earlier and take him out before he can’t hold it anymore. Grab boots, jacket, hat, gloves, and a leash, and get him outside. Establish a routine so he knows what to expect. Designate a potty area, and get him used to using that area for that purpose. Use the same words or phrase to let him know what you want, and treat and praise him when he performs. Then wash your face when you come back in.

Guest jessw2780

Thank you for the advice. We have another dog in the house that is fully housebroken and I had thought the new addition was as well as he goes to the back door when we are downstairs and pokes his leash when he wants to go out. We have shoveled many areas for him to relieve himself as well as a very very long driveway that I walk him down multiple times a day. Thank you again.

It sounds like he's nearly house-trained, but settling into the routine of a new home will almost always require re-housetraining. A refresher course, if you will.

Set your alarm a little earlier, or be prepared with boots and a coat and rush him outside when he wakes you up.

I started my girl at 6:30 am when I first got her - she was definitely ready to go out by then but was (thankfully) able to hold it till I got her outside! Over the past couple of months, I've pushed our wake up time back a bit at a time, and now we're sleeping in till 7:30. Your boy will adjust - he just needs time and patience to get on your schedule.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Thank you for the advice. We have another dog in the house that is fully housebroken and I had thought the new addition was as well as he goes to the back door when we are downstairs and pokes his leash when he wants to go out. We have shoveled many areas for him to relieve himself as well as a very very long driveway that I walk him down multiple times a day. Thank you again.

You have an advantage in that the first dog is already housebroken. Dogs are programmed to go where they smell dog urine, so if your first dog is going in the backyard then it has the "right smell" to attract your new greyhound to go there as well. Key point though - wherever your greyhound (or the other dog, for that matter) has gone inside the house, you need to clean and deoderize that spot, using something like this. If you do not do this, then your greyhound will smell the spot of previous urine in the house and think - "Right, that is where I am supposed to go."

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)