New Years Eve Party

Hello All -

I'm a new member and a new Grey owner. We got our Red Fawn boy 2 months ago. A few quick facts, then a question. He is a 3 year old male who came straight from the track to us. He is very positive for hook worms, which we are working through with the vet. He is generally sweet and a good boy. We had multiple instances of growling and 2 instances where he "came at" my teenager and me (one each). I searched grey-talk and read about space and food aggression. We've implemented a policy of leaving him be on his bed, when eating and with a toy and I'm happy to report we're 5 days without a single growl.

So on to the question. On Christmas we had 3 family members over and he did fine. Tonight, we are having about 16 neighbors over for New Year's Eve. I think he will be okay and we will explain the rules above and monitor their enforcement, but I'm looking for ideas to lessen the stress on him. Should I keep him on a leash? Should I move his toys upstairs?

Some additional info:

- The party will be on the main level. He has a crate in the dining room and a bed in family room.

- He has a bed in our bedroom upstairs.

- We are baby gating the main entrance so he can't bolt out as people come in.

I appreciate the insight of more experienced owners who have gone through this.

Happy New Year!

I haven’t dealt with this myself, so take this advice for what it’s worth :) Given his space issues and the short time he has been with you, I would let him hang out and greet everybody early in the evening, then either put him in his crate or upstairs away from the party. With that many people around (strangers to him) someone is bound to forget (or ignore) your rules. Definitely put all his toys away for the evening. I think this would be the least stressful for him and you. Good luck and have a good time!

How'd it go?

Really well until about 1AM when one of my kids gave him a treat and one of their friends tried to pet him simultaneously. He snarled but no harm was done. On 1/1 he was the most tired dog in the world.

He is taking metronidazole which seems to be adding to his tiredness. We had no diarrhea yesterday and were hopeful that we'd turned a corner, but it reappeared this morning. Two months of diarrhea is depressing.