Starvation Mode To Satiation

LaFlaca

Lola came home in August and from day one acted as though she had been starved her whole life. She ate with a gusto approaching desperation and never seemed satiated. Now, almost four months later, Lola is still extremely food motivated; a piece of cheese makes her eyes roll back in her head. However, the desperation with which she ate initially has substantially subsided. She still eats well just not like she's starving. She has gotten to the point where she will turn up her nose at a series treats or chews until I offer her the one she really wants...brat...where as before she'd eat a rock if it was offered.

Have any of you experienced this apparent satiation with your hounds and what do you attribute it to?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, I think it's quite common as we've had that experience with nearly all our retire racers. It takes several months for their digestion to settle in to home life as well!

If she's eating so fast she's choking, consider adding water to her kibble, or getting a slow feeder bowl (or put some small obstacles in her current foodbowl to slow her down).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think it's that way for ex racers when they are settling in and it's a great sign now that she's getting "picky" as I think it means her body now is getting what it needs for her new energy level.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yes, I think it's quite common as we've had that experience with nearly all our retire racers. It takes several months for their digestion to settle in to home life as well!

If she's eating so fast she's choking, consider adding water to her kibble, or getting a slow feeder bowl (or put some small obstacles in her current foodbowl to slow her down).

Good to hear. I was unsure as I did not have this experience with my first Grey. Thankfully, she does not choke on her food maybe because always moisten it.

I think it's that way for ex racers when they are settling in and it's a great sign now that she's getting "picky" as I think it means her body now is getting what it needs for her new energy level.

Phew! That was my guess, too. I wonder if they have to eat quickly at the track or lose the opportunity?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Good to hear. I was unsure as I did not have this experience with my first Grey. Thankfully, she does not choke on her food maybe because always moisten it.

Phew! That was my guess, too. I wonder if they have to eat quickly at the track or lose the opportunity?

It's very normal. Just usually subsides over time. And no - there is no losing opportunity to eat at the track. The dogs are fed individually in their crates. They don't have to compete or hurry to eat. It's just normal that dogs that have been in a group setting (even in individual crates) get excited and eat fast. They just do that. No worries, totally normal.

• 3 weeks later...

This is true. The wee brat has now become a treat connoisseur. She will mouth treat after offered treat, refusing each offering until provided with the one she craves at the moment. Mea culpa.