Thinking Of Adopting....

Ramone

Good morning!

I am looking to rescue a greyhound, but I live in Florida. Do greyhounds require any special attention in the hot weather? I know common sense is important-keep them hydrated, don't exercise in the hot weather, but do they require anything else? My dog will obviously live inside with my family in the air conditioning, but I do like to take walks, go to parks, the beach, etc.

Thank you so much!

They don't require anything different from any other dog - don't walk in the heat of the day, keep good water always available, watch the temperature of sidewalks and asphalt, have most play sessions either early or late in the day.

Some dogs do require a bit more help with the heat in the form of cooling coats or pads to lay on, and keeping the ac/fan on them, but it's really an individual trait rather than a breed one.

There are, literally, thousands of greyhounds in Florida! They do just fine living there! Good luck bringing your new addition home!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They don't require anything different from any other dog - don't walk in the heat of the day, keep good water always available, watch the temperature of sidewalks and asphalt, have most play sessions either early or late in the day.

Some dogs do require a bit more help with the heat in the form of cooling coats or pads to lay on, and keeping the ac/fan on them, but it's really an individual trait rather than a breed one.

There are, literally, thousands of greyhounds in Florida! They do just fine living there! Good luck bringing your new addition home!

Thank you so much!

Pay attention to the temperature of the surfaces you walk them on! Sidewalks, asphalt and sand all heat up FAST!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Living in SW Florida, with a girl we adopted last summer and now on foster #3. Summer or hot walks are early morning or evening. Like others said, just be careful of super hot asphalt that can burn their paws. If you go far, bring water and a small bowl for drinking.

My grey loves a good sunbath (or 2) during the day, even in the really hot months. The sun must feel good to them.

Otherwise, Florida has lots of tracks and lots of greys that are looking for loving homes. You could be the next! Best decision I ever made.

Ditto--feel the pavement with the back of your hand. Even here in Chicago it gets hot. I have a large black hound, sometimes I spray him down with the hose pre-walk, the evaporation during the walk seems to help him, then I spray him afterward also. He seems to like that! He also likes to play around in a baby pool.