Recurrent Diarrhea

I've been meaning to post an update. Violet seems to be back to normal. I've transitioned her from ground raw to most if her usual RMB meals, she's back up to her full dose of fish oil, and we're down to the maintenance dose if the probiotic BD. I think we'll stick with that through the holidays just to be safe.

I never did deworm her. Keep debating whether to do both since they haven't been in a long time and don't get preventative, but they've both had negative fecals recently so probably no point. :dunno

Anyway, seems like that one meal was the culprit and just really messed up her gut and she needed time to heal. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Gus, lactose intolerance is pretty common in dogs.

FWIW, I find most of the foods/supplements that people recommend for loose stool are more apt to CAUSE loose stool in my hounds. Yogurt, pumpkin, oatmeal, potatoes -- I would cut those things out if you're giving any. Also stop giving any oils (fish oil, coconut oil, etc.) or supplements like Missing Link. Chicken -- raw, cooked, or in a food -- and commercial foods with any type of vegetable oil, particularly sunflower oil, have caused problems here before too ....

For chronic or intermittent diarrhea, we get the best results from worming and, when that's done, Tylan powder.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GusTheBus

Ive figured out how and why Gus was sick for so long.

Birds.

I was outside with him and he booked it around the corner of the house but didnt come back as quickly. I went to look and he had his nose right on a little 🐦 💩. I saw the lightbulb and heard the ding sound....

Why isnt my yard filthy with incontinent birds I wondered so off to Google I went?

Birds are not effected by the toxin in Lantana plants at all. They ingest digest and deposit Lantana seeds by design. Gus did not seem to have a serious enough reaction to the plants because he was only eating a small bit of it and it already been digested at least partially by a bird.

Berry goes in bird

Bird poop goes in dog

Dog goes in hospital .....but not grave.

Edited by GusTheBus

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/lantana

couldn't find "Bogy Flowers" what are they?

annie digs up the bed behind the azalea bushes(either looking for cool surface or warmth depending upon the season) and always eats dirt. grubs?she runs around the yard at takes bites out of the turned up ground? she too reacts negatively to pumpkin and oatmeal, goes right thru her. and yes, my dogs- past and present have managed to pick up bacteria from squirrel & bird poop. birds are outright dirty filled w/ bacteria. it's not easy to clean that up, it took many different antibiotics. colitis can take months to clear up, if the flagyl is not overdosed it's safe. often dogs need to stay on a prophylactic dose. annie was on it for over 6 months, now any stress- a week clears her up.

pam always has great advice- follow her remedy at the supermarket.

don't rip out the plants, just fence them in. they are sweet.

clean yard, remove or fence off all areas where birds congregate and feed. watch out for puddles which turn into bird baths!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest GusTheBus

I have a nice bonus coming up and the plants are in raised beds. Im fencing to keep out dog. Netting to keep out birds and buying a gross of fire crackers to toss in the bushes and scars the birds we did with our cherry tree when I was a kid.....though I didnt have an HOA back then....TO GOOGLE!!!

Ill also be looking up Flagyl and Colitis

Edited by GusTheBus

• 2 weeks later...