Review Thyroid Test Results Please

New to owner 9 year old female greyhounds with skin and hair issues. Went from bunny soft to course and patchy. Some itchy and biting.

Looking at these results, does she need to be on thyroid meds?

23376379_1959114671080294_67657829385334

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The low levels are probably breed normal and the TSH is normal, so no. Possible allergy?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

The T4s are low so even though the TSH is OK, this could be a pituitary issue which is causing hypo (not likely but possible). Greyhounds typically run about 1/2 the normal values of other dogs which would put the T4 values in a "normal place". Having said that, Jean Dodds book has the following statement - "Both Total T4 and free T4 are lowered in cases of hypothyroidism". This was found on page 87 of the 2011 version of book. Since the T4 tests also seem to be correlating with "hypo symptoms", then you might want to send to a lab that also gives a diagnostic evaluation in addition to the results.

MaryJane, I believe the diagnostic evaluation was requested but has not yet sent.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you for posting for me Ducky. I was out of town and wanted to know what the experts could tell me of Bella's bloodwork. I had sent the sample to Mich State and checked the box for Endocrinologist interpretation but they didn't send that, so I am waiting for them to send it to my vet.

I have a question about the unit of measure. Dr Dodds book has sighthound range for FT4 as 0.50 - 120 ng/dL. Bellas report has a reference range of 9-39 pmol/L.

So how do I go about comparing this reference range to Dr Dodd? ng/dL....pmol/L is alphabet soup to me.

The other question I have is since I indicated that Bella is a greyhound, do the reference ranges in the report equate to sighthound or dogs in general?

Thank you!

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Lynda, I found a conversion for you:

http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Thyroxine.php

tiny hada siggy.png

You don't compare it to Dr Dodd's range. It's only valid to compare your value to the normals for the lab that ran the test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I finally received the Endocrinologist report today.

11/01/2017 9:00:00 Endocrinology Interpretation
There is excellent evidence to indicate that reference values for thyroid hormones, especially T4, should be extended lower than those listed here for this breed of dog. We do not have the elevation of thyroid stimulating hormone that is expected with primary hypothyroidism. The negative autoantibody results further decrease the likelihood of lymphocytic thyroiditis in the thyroid glands of this dog. This profile does not offer support for a differential diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

​So they are saying no hypothyroidism. (I so wish labs would list the ranges for the breed of dog they are testing.) The symptoms she has point to thyroid or at least what I know of hypothyroid. Hair loss, dry skin, redness of skin in some areas, seeking warm places, sleeping more then usual, dark pigmentation.

As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Were a CBC and chemistry panel also run (bloodwork)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A standard CBC was run in October 2017. They only did T4 and it was 0.9, which was why we requested thyroid panel through Mich State. In February 2017 the T4 was 0.7.