Yogi (he was kinda a bounce that we adopted in July. Lady had some severe mental health issues and he wasnt really being properly cared for...)

Anyway, on Wednesday November 1, starting at about midnight ( Tuesday night) Yogi had a small cluster of grand mal seizures. Seizures like I have never seen before. Started around 12:15 am and last one was about 5 am. He had three that seemed to last forever. Though in reality they were probably only 3 or so minutes.

I was able to call our clinic just because they are the ones that have treated my dogs the last few years. Thankfully had really only needed shots after Cosmo with his Valley Fever and Angel with her T4 seizures.

Went to our appointment Thursday afternoon. He was on a 6 hour fast. When we first started talking I said that I wanted the blood sent out because I was worried about the T4 levels since I had a grey in the past that had the petite mal seizures from T4 issues and wanted a good measure. I knew that 7-8 years ago when I was watching her levels they had only one facility that could test Greyhounds T4.

First she says there is no scientific proof that T4 levels will cause seizures. When I explained that I had a grey...blah blah, she stated that it has been known to help....even though there is no proof.

After waiting forever for the first basic results, there was nothing outstanding about his blood. She highly doubted that T4 was going to be off, so wanted to start on Phenobarbital, retest in two weeks to check levels. Have am pill in system 5 hours for testat the retest. They would call Friday with the first test results.

Finally after 2 calls, I get someone to call me back. Low and behold, his T4 is off. He is hypo..(?). They claim that they went over this with me on Thursday. Ummm...no. When I questioned I just kept getting weird answers. Like they had been over this with me before and Im being psycho mom...

Anyway keep my two week appt then we can see about transitioning to (Cant remember) medication.

I am not having a lot of good feelings about this. Wth? I understand they are a low cost shot clinic, and they are busy, but I didnt get a load of confidence from all this. They are also full service vet.

Yogi is also a little more aggressive right now. Since starting the Phenobarbital. Not really sleep startle, where I might pet him and he freaks out during sleep. But like he is fighting in his sleep and wakes himself up growling and snarling and barking.

Any ideas about being on this Phenobarbital for 2 weeks and then transitioning? Im just so confused.

For those that dont know, I live VERY RURAL. City is 40 minutes away. Las Vegas is the closest major city. Different state, and about 1 hour 30 minutes away.

I have to go to My city Wednesday for my Dr appt. I may see if vet will talk to me. I will hopefully get a chance to stop by and get copy of blood work if nothing else.

***i did find in with a bunch of Yogis papers that he has history of seizures. I was just never told. Not sure the very small group knew since this was a fast fast adoption. Hate to say ...get outta town...type fast but kinda was. ***sigh again***

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

I suggest that you make an appointment with a neurologist - they can discuss medicine options with you and are better qualified to deal with seizures over a long period of time. Pheno is not used as a first drug by most neurologists as they prefer to start with something a bit less damaging long-term so, they might prefer Zonisamide or some of the even newer drugs. Regular vets that do not know all the drug options for seizures, tend to prescribe Pheno. The issue is that it is difficult to get a dog off a seizure drug once started (can cause seizures) and as a result, you usually end up adding drugs as necessary so, the choices that you make are really important as your dog can end up on quite a few meds before you get the seizures under control.

If your dog had clusters (more than 1 seizure in 24 hours), then there is a possibility of status (non-stop seizures) and with that, you need to get a cluster-buster that is given after the first seizure to delay any subsequent seizures.

My Lucy has had seizures for more than 5 years now and is controlled on 3 meds of Zonisamide, Keppra, and Sodium Bromide along with a cluster buster of rectal valium.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nicky604

So many greyhounds get seizure disorders. Often within 24 hours of receiving 6 vaccines at the vet. Yes, 6!

This is standard veterinary practice in North America although strongly advised against even by the manufacturers of the vaccines.

Some seizure soon after receiving the vaccines, some later.

Vaccines contain cancer causing retroviruses and heavy metal additives that can cause neurological damage and seizures.

Because the vaccine is injected directly into the bloodstream, the body cannot detoxify these agents the same way as if they were ingested.

Unfortunately, we have not gone beyond the poor 1940's science of vaccination. It was bad science in the 40's and remains bad science today.

Research should be focused on immune system boosting agents not immune system assaulting.

You cannot vaccinate against every disease, but if you boost the immune system and work with it, diseases can be eradicated.

Dogs and humans are the only species plagued with cancer and auto-immune disorders.

Because they are the 2 species that receive the most vaccines.

Wrong--cats get cancer. My oldest does, intestinal mast cell.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

So many greyhounds get seizure disorders. Often within 24 hours of receiving 6 vaccines at the vet. Yes, 6!

This is standard veterinary practice in North America although strongly advised against even by the manufacturers of the vaccines.

Some seizure soon after receiving the vaccines, some later.

Vaccines contain cancer causing retroviruses and heavy metal additives that can cause neurological damage and seizures.

Because the vaccine is injected directly into the bloodstream, the body cannot detoxify these agents the same way as if they were ingested.

Unfortunately, we have not gone beyond the poor 1940's science of vaccination. It was bad science in the 40's and remains bad science today.

Research should be focused on immune system boosting agents not immune system assaulting.

You cannot vaccinate against every disease, but if you boost the immune system and work with it, diseases can be eradicated.

Dogs and humans are the only species plagued with cancer and auto-immune disorders.

Because they are the 2 species that receive the most vaccines.

So much misinformation here.......