Doggy Breath

Dave_P

Poor old Milo has terrible breath, and has had since I got him 5 months ago. I assume it is from dirty teeth, with a lot of tarter build up.

So I guess I will let the vet clean him up one of these days. I hate to put an animal under, for such a "simple" procedure. (maybe I should try scraping them by myself, first?)

Question to the group, is: estimated cost of this procedure? I am guessing $100, but will call the vet next week.

Thanks!

Yes, his stinky breath is probably from his teeth. You can try brushing/cleaning/scraping them yourself, but at this point, whatever you get off probably isn't going to make much difference. The cost varies widely depending on location and whether or not he needs extractions. I am guessing in rural Fla you would be on the lower end, but don't really know. I understand the reluctance to put him under, but there may be more going on than just tartar build up, an abscess, gum disease, a bad tooth. All of these things will ultimately affect his overall health, and he will feel so much better afterwards!

So yes, a vet visit would be the first step, good luck.

Your vet should be able to give you a baseline estimate, with an upper end for added extractions or complications. If your vet isn't very greyhound savvy, please make sure you do your research into the different protocols that this breed requires - avoiding opiates, extra fluids, and specific procedures for anesthesia.

A healthy dog should be fine with a dental, and it's better to have one done that let all that yucky stuff sit in his mouth or get down into his system. You can help keep his teeth clean afterwards to limit his need for the procedure by giving appropriate raw bones or other chew items, and teeth brushing. Hopefully your boy just nees a dental and he's not one of those who have the dreaded "greyhound mouth." They seem to need dentals every 6 months no matter what you do.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 months later...

Yes, stinky breath normally related to bad teeth. Took our gal to the vet two years ago to have her teeth cleaned and resulted in having 12 teeth pulled (not to worry they have plenty more). At the time I did have my concerns about putting her under but the vet reassured me they were quite aware of the issue and used the proper procedure. Did help for awhile but the stinky breath returned and I see her other teeth could use a cleaning once again. Unfortunately greyhounds as a breed are very susceptible to having bad teeth. Pricing will vary but it's not a cheap procedure.

Question to the group, is: estimated cost of this procedure? I am guessing $100, but will call the vet next week.

Thanks!

The least expensive dental bill we've ever had was about $600. The most expensive was about $1,100. This thread is 2.5 years old, but it gives you an idea of what dentals cost around the country. Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan