Greetings From Happy Valley

Guest FannyingAbout

Guest FannyingAbout

Hello all, we just (about two weeks ago adopted) our first retired racer! My husband and I grew up with dogs, but only ever outside dogs of various breeds. This is our first grey and our first inside dog! I waited forever and ever to adopt a dog, waiting to be something of a grown adult. Ha. You can see pics of Mr. PG Windmill on our IG:

https://www.instagram.com/snyderwagon/

So our number one goal right now is getting him on a potty schedule. We were home with him the first few days, then I've been coming home from work at lunch to let him out. I'd say for the last week, except when he obviously had an upset stomach and had the Big D, he had almost zero potty accidents in the house! And it seemed like he would whine near the door to be let out, so we tried our best to support that cue. DH and I were texting each other congratulatory things like "he's housebroken! He's the best dog ever! Most smartest most handsome boy!" etc. ;-)

But now the weekend has arrived, and both Sat. & Sun. morning, I take him outside to tinkle and he won't go. To be fair, the poor dude is from Florida and it's 40 in the morning here already. BUT, he seems to want to go on a walk. So I take him to a spot he loves to pee, and if he doesn't, right back in the house we go. (No pee, no walk buddy.) This morning he didn't go pee when we got up at 7. So right back in. I took him back out when he was near the door. No pee. So I crated him. (this was maybe 8?) took him back out before 9. No pee. Crate. He's in the crate now.

I was really hoping he was on a solid schedule (out first thing at 6 a.m., breakfast, out again for a walk and a poo before I go to work at 8, lunch break, out when I get home at 5, a couple walks in the evening....a last call) so we could work this week on stretching his daytime schedule to hopefully avoid trips home during lunch, but now this is no good. He's not showing any signs of angst, pain, etc. ??? Is it the weekend?

Still, he's the best dog ever. I've been working with my small kids on giving him his space, learning to read his cues. He's growled at them a few times, which I think is good! I want a dog who communicates and doesn't snap at people out of nowhere. He wants to visit with EVERY SINGLE PERSON we meet with on the street.

Our future goals include:

Stretching out his daytime schedule

Working on basic commands like stay, lay down, etc.

He actually has awesome leash manners, for some reason he seems to know the command heel...

Maybe eventually doing some agility or other fun stuff.

Welcome to your handsome glossy black guy. Are you calling him Windmill?

No idea why he decided not to pee this weekend -- but evidently if he can make it from last call to past 9 in the morning, he can make it all day. Was there a change in the breakfast schedule this weekend?

He wants to visit with EVERY SINGLE PERSON we meet with on the street.

Most of mine have taken it as a personal insult if every. single. person. does not want to stop and pet them when we're out.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter