New Houndie Now Scared Of Walkies

Hiya - I am 5 days in with our glorious Foxy. A beautiful 2.5 y/o red fawn. She was loving walks both morning and evening and has been doing really well with alone time, happily playing with her pig, bum in air or lounging in her outdoor bed mastering the Kong. About 2/3 through her morning walk yesterday she started freezing and then decided it was home time, pulling to get me down our streets and back in the house. Once there, settled fine, but wouldn't go back to her happy place in the yard. Last night keeping the same schedule, we attempted to get her walking again, she was a bit resistant with letting us put on the cage and harness but we got there gently. Then out the door half a block down and no dice. Frozen, tremors and then pulling to go back home. Didn't want to stress her so back home we went, and she was back to her bed inside and not willing to budge (except some dramatic roachies and head nudging for pats).

Then time to potty before bed, needed firm "Comes" and treats to get her there.

This morning - same thing, had to bribe her outside (no leash) and follow her around to get her to do 1 & 2s. As soon as that happened she was back at the door statued waiting to go inside. Oh and as for a walk - no chance!

She's also not doing the play thing, so I'm thinking she's freaked out about something. I just don't know what. I'm back in the office next week, and need to get her back outside, she's young and usually energetic, and I wouldn't want her house confined. I've ordered her a crate, but would appreciate any thoughts or guidance to help her back to feeling safe in her yard and walking again. We already love her and want the best for her, she's bonding with us and looks to us for comfort, so don't want her to regress.

Well - you are not alone. Maybe walk him only in your yard?

After 4 months I still have to push Milo out the door sometimes, but unless there is something new in the yard, or funny noises, he is very happy to be out.

There is a lot of good things in your post. The roaching and the engagement with you.

It's possible she had a fright that didn't register at the time or that you didn't notice.

A good idea to control yourself to be genuinely relaxed, happy, and confident at all times. Carry the very highest value treats with you - roast chicken, grilled beef, etc. and make it rain happiness and treats.

Can you get her in a vehicle? If so, take her to a quiet forested area or park with trails and walk her there. When a dog is walked somewhere away from home they may believe they are walking toward home and be much more eager. Pretty soon most of them learn that they love going for walks anywhere, any time.

Also, when Foxy starts to tighten up start jogging. This can switch her frame of mind.

And finally, borrow another confident greyhound or have somebody join you with their grey on walks.

Edited by KickReturn

I'll see if I can find a local grey to go walkies with that's a good suggestion. She's too uncertain for me to get her to the car, but she has ventured back into the yard a couple of times, and is relieving herself. She has a bit of the runs, so maybe I've overdone the treats! Ive also had a couple of bows, enthusiasm doesn't last long, but it was there.

You've had her for 6 days now? The walks may be too much new stimulus too soon. Encourage more time in your backyard. Is your yard fenced? Just chill out there with her - let her see you relaxed and she'll pick up on your cue.

I rarely take my new dogs for walks in the first few months. I know that contradicts the advice to tire out a new dog if they are stressed or destructive in the home. However, "new" dogs here mean old ones who have been displaced, so my own is a new world to them.

Your girl's personality and confidence will change over time. Enjoy the ride. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What do you mean "the cage and harness"?

Are you walking her with the muzzle on? Why? And why, if she is doing well without a crate, would you bother getting one now?

Just guessing--is this the first dog you've ever had? One thing you don't want to do is let her set the schedule, route, etc. Being gentle with her at first is one thing. Letting her dictate her daily routine is another entirely.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My girl is frightened very easily. She is a very big girl, but she hides behind me frequently. If she smells something distressing, she will try to either take us home, or hide behind me. My guess is that she might have smelled or seen something that scared her. Myrtle is very afraid of coyotes and even though I am just out of town, we have had a pack in the woods. She took us through our neighbor's yard to our driveway. I always knew when they were there.

She may be telling you she is afraid of something. Trust her. Is she afraid in the daylight too? Give her some time.

What do you mean "the cage and harness"?

Are you walking her with the muzzle on? Why? And why, if she is doing well without a crate, would you bother getting one.Just guessing--is this the first dog you've ever had? One thing you don't want to do is let her set the schedule, route, etc. Being gentle with her at first is one thing. Letting her dictate her daily routine is another entirely.

In Oz, were required to have them wearing the cage/muzzle everytime she's in public until they are Greenhound assessed.

Irrelevant of if she wants to go or not, I go through the routine of putting in her harness (she's a boisterous girl) and going to the door at the same time morning and evening. She's getting further out each time, a whole 200m each way this morning!

I've had German Sheppards and Collies, but never a rescue or greyhound before.

I'm getting her back in the yard and letting her dance around as much as possible - she's curious again which is good.

Edited by Katpickles

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Congratulations on your adoption of Foxy! She seems like a sweetheart! Great that she's already asking for attention. Roaching is a good sign of comfort in your home.

... she was back at the door statued waiting to go inside. Oh and as for a walk - no chance!
She's also not doing the play thing, so I'm thinking she's freaked out about something. I just don't know what. I'm back in the office next week, and need to get her back outside, she's young and usually energetic, and I wouldn't want her house confined. I've ordered her a crate, but would appreciate any thoughts or guidance to help her back to feeling safe in her yard and walking again. We already love her and want the best for her, she's bonding with us and looks to us for comfort, so don't want her to regress.

Newly retiring Greyhounds freezing during walks is very common. It's usually caused by over-stimulation (as mentioned above, too many environmental changes too soon). Racing Greyhounds' past life has been extremely limited in racing kennels, including potty outings in a fenced turnout pen. Every little thing in a new "pet home" (TV, mirrors, glass doors, appliances, etc.), new people, and new neighborhood is completely foreign to them. When a dog becomes too uncertain or fearful of something, they react by either freezing, fleeing(!! -- hold on and don't let her back out of her collar), or (if directly physically threatened by a dog, etc.) the third option is fighting. Freezing is the most desirable reaction. ;) As you already did very well; please continue to pay attention to your hound's comfort level. Being newly retired, simply reduce the size of her new world. Take baby steps. Let her show you when her comfort level progresses enough to expand her world. I agree to let her readjust to her own home and yard for a while. Thereafter, begin very short walks (remember anything from a garbage can - to a passing truck - to a piece of litter carried by wind, etc. could affect her). If she freezes again, offer treats and try circling and walking in a different direction. If she's not comfortable, it's fine to let her walk in any less threatening direction. If that's back home, so be it. Next time try starting your walk in a different direction. Great if a more experienced Greyhound joins your walk too. Each dog is an individual and adjusts at a different rate. She will adjust in her own time. (Avoid forcing or "flooding" a dog with what they perceive as scary or an unsafe threat, as that increases dogs' problems and often damages dogs' trust in humans.)

On a separate note, I'm guessing you might be in/near Australia, but in the USA, retiring Greyhounds are adopted only as indoor family dogs. Some of the most important reasons are that Greyhounds are extremely sensitive to heat and cold temperatures. They are at greater risk than other breeds for temperature related problems, hyperthermia, and hypothermia, etc. due to their very thin skin, thin fur, lack of an undercoat, lack of body fat, and increased muscle. Even as indoor dogs, they can become too chilled during winter months. They often wear Greyhound jammies inside, and coats during walks in cold or rainy weather. A dog door installed in the human's home is okay with some adoption agencies as long as the yard is fenced and the Greyhound has 100% access to retreat inside their family home.

Congrats on your adoption! It's not uncommon for a dog to seem "perfect" and then regress. We call it "the honeymoon is over". SO. Just back up a step. Start over, and revamp your expectations, and pretend she was this way on day 1. Short walks, positive reinforcement. Keep it simple and positive. Forget how she was. That's over. New dog - day 1.

Update on Foxy. Still not doing walkies, but she's more than exhausted after a couple of zoomie and play sessions in our yard each day. We're keeping the routine, harness and leash on at the same time each day, she'll venture out and sniff till her hearts content about 50m each way, then its home time again.

If anyone is in Sydney near Parramatta area and you have a greyt would love to get in contact.

Cheers!

Thanks for the support lovelies. We have good walks and bad, some I'll get her out and about for a solid 20 mins, others it's 10 minutes and all sniffing.

We are keeping the routine going and making sure she knows the routine doesn't stop because she does.

Foxy has been really good this week with only one digging incident (pushed the boundaries and she was home 6 hours alone - unavoidably detained in traffic), her pant sessions are limited to just before bed time and she's learning play manners, only jumps on hubby, knows I'll turn my back and cross my arms when she's too boisterous.

Have to find a way for her to not climb up to the kitchen bench, she's a good little treat finder! If I have put the baggies back in the top counter it's an invitation for her to climb on the couch to the counter. Cheeky girl.

We're going to take her for a drive to a quiet national park for walkies this weekend and see if the quiet helps her out.