Advantage Multi And K9 Advantix Ii

Hi all,

As Charlie is now a blood donor, we have received a 6-month supply of Advantage Multi and K9 Advantix II.

We usually use Nexgard and Heartgard Plus and I am unsure if Advantage Multi and K9 Advantix II are safe for greys or not. I am seeing confounding opinions, so I am a bit confused.

In any doubt, I will bring it back to the vet and use our regular stuff.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

They're perfectly safe. K9 Advantix is toxic to cats though, so keep the dog separated from any cats for about 12 hours after applying to be safe.

Pretty much all veterinary heart worm and flea/tick meds are safe for all breeds of dog. I can't really think of any meds with breed contraindications. Even Heartgard is safe for ivermectin sensitive collies.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Advantage Multi already contains a flea/tick preventative, so I'm not sure why they sent K9 Advantix, too. There might be some concern that the Advantage Multi on its own isn't enough.

Talk to the vet, but you might want to stagger the products: Advantage Multi on the first of the month, and K9 Advantix on the 15th.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks Kristie!

Advantage Multi already contains a flea/tick preventative, so I'm not sure why they sent K9 Advantix, too. There might be some concern that the Advantage Multi on its own isn't enough.

Talk to the vet, but you might want to stagger the products: Advantage Multi on the first of the month, and K9 Advantix on the 15th.

Thanks, I always staggers them anyway, but I will talk about it to the vet. I think one of them doesn't covers ticks, that's why.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

We use a combo too (Bravecto and Heartguard), because one doesn't cover heartworm. If only there is a preventative that does all 3 - heartworm, fleas and ticks!

No experience regarding the two you are looking for, but I have given 2 different types before because one doesn't cover all.

Congrats for becoming a blood donor!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Actually, Advantage Multi does not have a tick preventative. For external parasites it covers ear mites, fleas, and certain skin mites. If you want tick coverage you need to add another product such as Advantix, Nexgard, Bravecto, Simparica, etc. Most of those also cover fleas. Advantix is also supposed to have some mosquito repellent activity.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Our non grey had a terrible skin reaction to Advantix. you can see in this pic. His skin looked burnt, it was raw and flaky, and his fur in the area was different and hard and dried out. Took about a year, but his fur looks normal again finally. It never seemed to bother him though. We switched to bravecto. so far so good

IMG_3464_zpscqkhjrkx.jpg