Urinalysis Results - Investigate Further?

Guest Rainy

Guest Rainy

Hello everyone,

I recently had my 10-ish year old galgo in for bloodwork and urine testing (routine yearly check-up). Looking for advice on the results:

Colour: yellow

Clarity: cloudy

Specific gravity: 1.021

pH: 8.5

Protein: trace

no sign of bacteria in urine

blood work all normal

Care of the Racing Greyhound suggests that low SG and high pH can mean UTI (!?). She did have a pretty bad vaginal infection (but no UTI) last fall/winter that she was on antibiotics for. Symptoms cleared up, although the post-meds culture still showed significant bacterial growth. BUT, these last results are almost identical to blood/urine tests that was done back in 2015 when she was 8 (SG: 1.019, pH: 8.5, trace protein) although they differ slightly from tests done in 2012 when she was 5 (SG:1.053, pH: 6, trace protein).

Should I be concerned? Further tests needed? She eats raw, has never had any major medical issues, although we are dealing with very occasional incontinence sometimes nowadays (when she lays down). The fact the she's into double digits now, and also that our senior died in December, means "high alert" mode for anything that could be an issue.

Edited by Rainy

felix had a high ph, i was able to neutralize it into the normal range with in 3 weeks adding potatoes- white or sweet. yup, broccoli & bananas work as well, but he wouldn't eat it.

i couldn't find any of the articles that i read but they are out there. google foods that will lower canine PH level. i don't know how strict a raw feeder you are, it may go against the protocol. i feed what works, it's not a religion, it's keeping your dog healthy.

and do recheck it in a couple of weeks.

Guest Rainy

Was that a first morning specimen ?

No. The vet suggested we could do a retest with a first morning pee, if I was concerned enough. It is $100 to do that, so would prefer not to if it isn't necessary.

felix had a high ph, i was able to neutralize it into the normal range with in 3 weeks adding potatoes- white or sweet. yup, broccoli & bananas work as well, but he wouldn't eat it.

i couldn't find any of the articles that i read but they are out there. google foods that will lower canine PH level. i don't know how strict a raw feeder you are, it may go against the protocol. i feed what works, it's not a religion, it's keeping your dog healthy.

and do recheck it in a couple of weeks.

Is a high pH urine something that can cause problems in itself? I'm mainly concerned that it's a sign of another infection.

$100 to recheck a USG? That's ridiculous--you just need half a teaspoon of first am urine-they can test it with a refractometer in about 30 seconds. Maybe they quoted you the price of running another complete u/a (or a upc-checking the proteinuria)?

Just ask them to do a Specific Gravity on a first catch morning pee - it should not be $100. If the value 1.025 or less, then your dog is not concentrating the urine as well as she could be. Also, urine should not have protein in it and as it doesn't look like it could be caused from infection, then it might be that protein is not being filtered well by the kidneys and some is escaping into the urine. Over time, this may (or may not) damage the kidneys more. My suggestion is to cut down on the amount of protein that is fed until there is NO protein seen at all in the urine. You can pick up protein dipsticks at the pharmacy and check it yourself on a first morning catch every few days or so.

Sorry, misunderstood. To retest the USG is only $15. Full urinalysis is $100.

They are still soaking you. To run a usg test literally takes 30 seconds. A tech places 2 drops of urine on a refractometer and reads the results-guess I'm shocked they are charging anything. That's really nickle and diming clients.

Is your dog symptomatic of a uti? Frequent urination? Drinking more?

Most places now charge a minimum no matter how easy the test(s) can be. In the interim - I suggest that you deal with the cost and just bring in a first morning urine specimen and get the specific gravity.

That's horse hockey-may he true but imo that's poor customer service and leaves a bad taste in the clients mouth.

That's horse hockey-may he true but imo that's poor customer service and leaves a bad taste in the clients mouth.

I agree totally with you however, to go to a new vet means an office call and maybe other work that would have to be done which would cost more than this charge.