Extreme Rapid Weight Loss

Guest coffeekhaleesi

Guest coffeekhaleesi

Hey everybody! This is my first post. My older boy, Cooper, is 4 and a half, and we've had him for over a year. About 2-3 months ago, he rapidly and suddenly lost a LOT of weight (he went from a healthy 75 lbs. to about 62 lbs) and he has also starting going #2 in the house, which is honestly pretty shocking as he's always been perfectly housebroken. He's got no energy and is clearly uncomfortable.

We brought him to the vet and his blood, stool, and urine came back clean. We've been following all of the vet's suggestions--we've been giving him pepcid, we've increased his food intake quite a bit, and we're feeding him smaller amounts more frequently and NOTHING is working. There are no external stressors or changes that could be causing this and I'm worried about him. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Some things to check:

- Have the vet run a TLI test for pancreatic insufficiency.

- Abdominal x-ray/ultrasound to check stomach and intestines.

- Worm him even though the fecal was clean.

- Tick disease panel.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Some things to check:

- Have the vet run a TLI test for pancreatic insufficiency.

- Abdominal x-ray/ultrasound to check stomach and intestines.

- Worm him even though the fecal was clean.

- Tick disease panel.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Yep, this. :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

That is definitely not normal. Do some more checks as per above. Can you tell us about his appetite? It might be worth getting him onto a high caloric food, but without knowing what is causing this in the first place, changing up his diet might not be ideal. To keep as much weight on Kasey as I could during his chemo treatments was a canned food by Royal Canin that was Gastrointestinal and High Caloric food and this was still relatively easy on his stomach. Check with your vet. Also Satin Balls are quite popular to put weight on pups after they have left the track, and you make at home yourself - consists of raw ground beef, molasses, Total cereal, etc. Again though, putting a lot of "different" food through his system without know what's going on with his liver and insides, might not be the best route.

I'm sure more will chime in with their experiences. Gentle scritches to Cooper. Please keep us updated. Often folks obtain a good result and don't follow up to help us learn!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest DarkHorse

Definitely ultrasound his abdomen. I don't want to sound alarmist, but Dexter had more or less the same symptoms (only he had bloody/dark poops and low-normal red blood numbers), and he ended up having cancer in his intestines. The only reason he had the blood symptoms at all was because the tumour was bleeding, so it could be the same thing for your pup only without the bleeding. As your boy is young, you have a chance of catching this early enough for surgery and chemo to be really effective, but you have to identify what it is first.

Guest coffeekhaleesi

Thank you so much for all of the responses!! For those his asked, his appetite is just as it's always been, but he does eat much slower than he used to.

We're going to the vet tomorrow again. When we talked this morning he said he suspected it might be an inability to absorb B12. They're going to do TLI/Folate/Something else tests tomorrow. If those all come back negative, we'll have to get that ultrasound done next week.

• 1 month later...

How did you make out?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• 1 month later...

Curious of outcome?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.