Travelling With A Senior - Should You?

My girl is 13.5 years old and has hind end weakness. She is on Dasuquin and although it helps tremendously she still has issues getting up when she is lying down.

We have travelled extensively with her and we stop every two to three hours. I'm wondering if we should travel this September with her. My concern is it is difficult for her to get up and adjust her position if she is uncomfortable - I can't see her from the cab (she is safely kennelled in the canopy).

I know a long trip is not a good idea but am wondering if a shorter trip would be okay? Would this be hard on her?

Anyone care to share their opinions?

I stopped traveling with my (now angel) hounds when they were 12.5 ... mostly because we were going to events that required a lot more walking than either of them enjoyed. If you're traveling to something that your hounds will not be stressed at, I would enjoy every moment together than you have.

I would, however, do some additional planning. I'm guessing that you already travel with all pertinent medical records and documentation about special bloodwork values for greyhounds. I would look for emergency vets along the route in case I needed medical help, and would actually reach out to Greytalk members who might be near the travel route for additional help & support.

Since you can't see your girlie while driving, I might consider getting a baby monitor to hear the back of the vehicle. And since she seems to have trouble getting comfortable, I've purchased orthopedic foam for my hounds to have more support without having too much difficulty climbing out of the bed (I found Serta orthopedic beds with bolsters online about a year ago ... great additions when the slumber balls were just 'too much').

When I was traveling with my seniors, I made sure I had extra meds and scrumptious nibbles for my picky eaters (and gas generators).

good luck!

i generally have traveled w/ my senior dogs unless the weather is not cooperating. too hot/too humid and they just can't take it. having a sedan getting in and out has never been a problem, they have always loved going places. it's up to you, are you starting to deal w/ incontience? that's a PITA in a motel or at a friend or family's house. if your dog still loves the car then why not? if they can get in and out of the car, let that be your barometer . i have a 13 year old coming to stay this fall. the family would have taken her but the family get-together is located at a non-dog site. otherwise she would have been going. could she do my steps? no, i assisted each and every paw helping her up, the husband just carries her.

I would say a lot of your questions need to be answered by you - Does she still enjoy travelling? Does anything about travelling make her anxious? Will she eat when you're on the road? Does your vet say there's any medical reason to not take her with you?

I would definitely consider the weather if you decide to travel. All my seniors have been increasingly sensitive to heat and humidity, and September can be hot and humid in many places.

I'm not sure *I* would feel comfortable having her so far away from me, and be unable to actually see her, but that's another call for you. I might be tempted to use a different vehicle, or rent one, to let her be more comfortable. Putting her up front lets her have the benefit of any AC during the trip too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so grateful to each of you for such helpful responses. Reading them I know we can go!

WRT medical records - what kind of records and why would I need them? I've had a ton of senior's panels done. Would they need them for a comparison if there is an emergency?

I'm so grateful to each of you for such helpful responses. Reading them I know we can go!

WRT medical records - what kind of records and why would I need them? I've had a ton of senior's panels done. Would they need them for a comparison if there is an emergency?

what kind of records and why would I need them?

Vaccination record and lab results.

Without them a vet you use while traveling may require additional testing and re-vaccinating before they'll provide treatment. Also helpful to have them for comparison purposes.

If you don't want to carry a file, take pictures with your camera. I also write out a concise history so I don't talk so much that I leave anything important out.

And ditto what someone else posted about taking note of emergency vet clinics along your route before you leave.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png