Pet Insurance

Guest JackRels

I would search this and the EEG forum for "insurance" and a number of threads will come up. Pet insurance isn't state specific so as long as you're in the US, you're good.

I've been very happy with Healthy Paws. If you decide to go with them and would like a referral code let me know and I will send you a link. I believe you get a discount if you sign up that way. Healthy Paws and Trupanion seem to be the two most favorable companies, but I much prefer Healthy Paws' annual deductible versus Trupanion's per incident deductible. And they have been amazing about how fast they process claims, answer questions, handle issues that occasionally pop up. I really can't say enough good things about them.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest JackRels

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I searched under pet insurance and dog insurance and came up with nothing. Will check "insurance."

The search engine on here doesn't do well with words that are 3 letters or less. If you do just "insurance" you'll find plenty of threads. :)

Oh, and as or whether it's worth it, you will find a range of opinions on that. But I feel strongly it is. It can and has allowed me to make decisions without regard for finances that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Yes you could just build an emergency savings fund, but if I put what I pay in premiums in a savings account every month I wouldn't get near what one illness or injury could cost. So my perspective is that I don't count on it to cover routine expenses or minor illnesses/injuries, but it is worth it's weight in gold for piece of mind when a dog gets really sick. In keeping with that, I chose a relatively high deductible to keep the premium down ($250) and a lower reimbursement rate (80%). In the future, I think I might go with the 90% reimbursement rate and the same or a slightly higher deductible.

But basically this approach means that I may pay into it for quite some time without much benefit, but I'm okay with that. And with my mixed breed, who is 5 1/2 I haven't used it much as you might expect. But with Violet - well Violet is my lemon. :P I've already reaped the rewards big time with her. She had a rhabdomyolysis incident that required a multiple night stay in the ER, was thousands of dollars. Then she had an emergency after anesthesia from her dental, ER again. More recently she's been having orthopedic issues. I could not have afforded all of the PT we've been doing without the insurance. She's been getting some combination of manual therapy, underwater treadmill, and chiropractic care at $80-145 a pop 1-2x/wk since October! And that doesn't even include the diagnostic x-rays, ultrasounds of both shoulders, and TBD panel, all of which ran me well over $1000. So I'm very grateful to have it. And I do save quite a bit of additional money every month to cover what insurance doesn't.

Hope that helps.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I posted the following here a few months ago:

I have had Embrace for both dogs for 4 years.

Premiums run a little under $500.00 a year for each dog.

That worked out to $1.37 a day for his insurance.

Last year, Embrace paid out $10,000.00 (80%) for Taylor's care for Osteosarcoma.

I pay the vet. Submit the claim form with the invoice. Have a check in my hands within 10-12 days.

Dozens and dozens of claims.

Always approved.

Always paid.

The $400.00, 500.00, 600.00 you don't spend annually on premiums, and "set aside", will be used up in an overnight stay or two at the vet.

Chest x-rays and an exam run around $400.00.

It will take you around 4-5 years of "saving that premium money" to pay for chemo.

I posted the following here a few months ago:

I have had Embrace for both dogs for 4 years.

Premiums run a little under $500.00 a year for each dog.

That worked out to $1.37 a day for his insurance.

Last year, Embrace paid out $10,000.00 (80%) for Taylor's care for Osteosarcoma.

I pay the vet. Submit the claim form with the invoice. Have a check in my hands within 10-12 days.

Dozens and dozens of claims.

Always approved.

Always paid.

The $400.00, 500.00, 600.00 you don't spend annually on premiums, and "set aside", will be used up in an overnight stay or two at the vet.

Chest x-rays and an exam run around $400.00.

It will take you around 4-5 years of "saving that premium money" to pay for chemo.

I, too, have Embrace and have been quite happy with it. I have a $500 deductible and 80% reimbursement for illness/injury. I could have a lower deductible and higher reimbursement but my plan cost would be more. I change my wellness rewards plan reimbursement amount ($200, $250, $400 or something like that) as I need more or less coverage (higher reimbursement when Sheba needs a dental, lower when she doesn't). Wellness rewards plan covers annual vaccinations, bloodwork, dental, nail trimming, fecal exam, parasite Rxs, etc.

BTW, what is EEG?

Everything Else Greyhound

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have Healthy Paws. I use the app to submit my claims. I really like them, fast, good customer service and pay quickly. I have 90% coverage & a $250 deductible for both of my boys. I haven't had to use it for anything substantial yet - thank dog.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

I put my two greys on with Healthy Paws in October of last year. My friend uses Trupanion and is very happy with it; but I chose HP simply 'cause I liked the deductible better. But I think either is good. My girl came up an injury in February that required some Xrays and treatment and basically came out almost that what I'd already paid out for her premiums I got back on the claim.

My vet's office does the claim filing for me; though I have the app on my phone for it and it's so easy to check the status of the claim. I've called them questions and they've been very helpful and nice explaining anything I needed to know.