Food Advice

Guest Izzy2

Guest Izzy2

Hi does anyone know anything about Gain greyhound food please?

Is is for health reasons as I have Biffo for the weekend and he's on this biscuit but he is rather skinny 😖😖 he's got a health check with the vets later today as I'm looking at rehoming him .

Any advice would be great guys 😁

I'm guessing you're in the UK like me, Lizzie? I've not heard of Gain before but if it's one of those foods specifically for racers I'd not worry about changing to something else. They can be cheap - like working dog food you don't pay VAT - but contain a lot of cereals meaning much poo. And I think in racing kennels they are usually fed combined with a homemade stew of meat and veg in fact.

Ken does well on 'Pet Greyhound' which was developed for the Retired Greyhound Trust: https://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk/dog-food/greyhound-food/pet-greyhound

I've also in the past successfully fed my old greyhound Gusto and Autarky, two working dog foods from the same manufacturer. Autarky gets better reviews, Gusto is the economy version but actually suited him better - he stayed on it for years, but it didn't suit Ken. Different dogs have different digestions so be prepared to experiment a bit!

As they are used to having their food wet I do always add water to dry food, and a bit of something else - usually Butchers' Tripe (the original tripe loaf recipe). If you want to put some weight on Biffo (great name!) try adding some mince -.green tripe from a pet shop or some beef or lamb mince - cheap and fatty is fine. Raw eggs and little tins of sardines are other popular additions here!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Izzy2

Hi yeah I'm in the UK lol lily is on a greyhound food which is a different make Althea I've tried her on wagg chappie biscuit you name it and I must admit her coat is soo silky. Butchers tripe is brilliant tin food and she loves it although sometimes the wind is a bit much but that's greyhounds for you !!

Biffo is his kennel/racing name and I was concerned that he may have food issues and that this is a specific food as he is 8 bless him.

Well hopefully his health check will come back good as I must admit am desperate to rehome him and he's already got attached to my 9 year old son after 1 night lol

Many thanks

Guest Izzy2

Oh no it's not me wanting to find him a new home I'm wanting to take him on he was lily's kennel mate when I got her 18mths ago Lily is /was getting SA when I moved and I thought I'd get her a canine friend .He's been in kennels all this time 😖

My Peggy has has a very sensitive digestive system even since she had a bad infection (blood both ends) a few years ago. My vet said that I now have to feed better quality food if I don't want to have huge vet bills. So I settled on Barking Heads Golden Years as 3/4s of her diet, I buy a small bag of Canagan Country Game once in a while and use it for treats. For topping I buy trays of Forthglade real meat wet food... Beed, Lamb and Chicken spearately. 1 tray lasts 3 days.

Now you might think it's too expensive but a bag lasts twice as long as cheaper foods.

I've fed the better Greyhound foods in the past but was always adding real meat when the supermarket had it going out of date.

The lowdown on UK dog foods is here:

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Edited by JohnF

Guest Izzy2

Hi everyone me again lol

Well Biffo went and had his check up I can't believe he weighs 2 kilo more than lily at 30.5. vet has given me drontil to cover any worming issues and has told me to feed him as many times as he wants to try and bulk him up.my issue now is do I take him back Monday to the kennels to pick him up Friday as I work Mon Tuesday nights 3-9 and Thursday 9-2.30 or do I just keep him. He's back again in a month for a further check on his weight.

Please help !!!

It sounds like he would work in your home, and already has a connection with your son. Why do you want to rehome him?

Our friends in the UK use the term "re-home" the way we use "adopt."

For the UK folks, "re-home" here in the US means to find the dog another home or to return the hound to the adoption group when things don't work out or there are extenuating circumstances and an owner can no longer keep the hound. There's been confusion about this term here many times in the past.

We don't have any of those foods you are asking about over here, so local replies will be your best source of info.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Izzy2

Hello

Many thanks for clarifying that confusion never thought of it that way lol you tend to forget people everywhere read posts which is absolutely fantastic 😁😁