Help Needed

Guest Izzy2

I rehomed my greyhound 18months ago after losing my Leonberger. I had no intention of choosing but just to look until Lily came out the kennel and gave me a kiss....That was it lol. She suffered terribly with anxiety separation and was wary of anyone except those who had come with me to bring her home. Unfortunately she wasn't house trained and messed everywhere when I went out as well as crying to the point my neighbour came and told me..But with slot of time and love she is turning into a great dog.on walks she is frightened of other dogs..However I had to stay with a friend in between moving into my new home. My friend has 2scatty standard poodles and Lily became great friends with the girl poodle. Now I have moved into my new home Lily has reverted back to messing when I go out.

The help I need is should greyhounds be on their own or she I get a companion for her..And if so should it be another greyhound?

Some dogs have separation anxiety because they don't like to be completely alone, and another dog alleviates that stress. However, some dogs have anxiety because their PEOPLE are gone, and a second dog does nothing to soothe them. If you want another dog, I say go for it, and it may or may not help your current dog's separation anxiety. However, I wouldn't get a second dog with the primary purpose being to help your first dog, because it may not work out that way. You might consider fostering some dogs to see if it seems to help your dog, and if you found one you both particularly like you could choose to adopt it at that time.

Regardless, look up "alone training" on these forums and lots of threads will pop up discussing some of the steps to take in helping your dog learn to be alone. I'm sure others will also post some of those things here, I'm just at work and can't post a super lengthy reply!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Many thanks for your reply I knew I might have issues with Lily once I'd moved as this is just as stressful for dogs as it is for humans....But also knew as she'd got attached to the poodle I might have problems there... It's a catch 22. I know where I got her from initially when I first rescued her did suggest and offer a foster dog when I spoke to them. What I don't want to do is compound the problem if that makes sense by rehoming another dog to find that causes problems that wouldn't be fair on either dog.

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

I agree with Krissy. First, I'd work on alone training to evaluate the root of Lily's anxiety level.

You may have already determined the most important considerations before adding a second dog: Can you afford to double the lifetime expenses of food; heartworm preventative; veterinary care; dog clothing; supplies; etc., and can you commit to the responsibility of a second dog for the life of the dog? Do you expect to stay in your current home long-term, and would two dogs be legal to stay with you there forever (if it's a rental)? No need to answer these questions here, just food for your thought.

I'm not sure how long you've been in your new home, but I'm not surprised that Lily is struggling with this third major change within a short time (not to mention previous changes before her retirement). Retired racing Greyhounds are strongly accustomed to living in large packs (they've never been alone until retirement), and most enjoy the company of other Greyhounds more than other breeds. Fine if you were to consider a different breed, but I'd suggest a similar size dog with a similar respectful temperament and play style if you decide to get another dog. (Many of us with multiple Greyhounds use basket muzzles on all our dogs when they play/run together in a fenced enclosure outside because retired racers are often competitive play mates. Muzzles prevent injuries from a tooth snagging their thin skin, etc. General rule: If one dog is muzzled, all dogs must be muzzled; otherwise, a single muzzled dog can't defend him/herself from a non-muzzled dog.

If not too far away, perhaps Lily could enjoy play dates with her Poodle friends, and/or ask your Greyhound group if they arrange Greyhound only play dates.

"I'll Be Home Soon" is a short booklet by Patricia McConnell that could help you with Lily's separation anxiety: https://www.amazon.com/Ill-Home-Soon-Separation-Anxiety/dp/1891767054

One of our hounds has separation anxiety. In her case, I am her most important target. She's had 3 hound mates, two of which did very little to support her emotionally, but she is joined at the hip with one other hound. They do everything together; one won't go out in the yard for a potty break without the other. Positive reward reinforcement obedience training helped our SA hound a lot by increasing her self-confidence and helping her understand the workings of the family household. "Go to your bed/place" was an important action for her to learn so she could learn to be okay independently (vs. being underfoot at all times). Our SA hound excels as my top obedience hound because she's so eager to please her human.

In case you missed this recent thread, you might pick up some helpful tips for your situation: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/320026-started-peeing-in-the-house-crate-after-6-months/

Good luck, and please let us know whatever you decide. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Izzy2

Hi

Many thanks for the welcome.😁...Must admit was quite daunting asking for help lol

Well the update on Lily is she has stopped messing in the house .I got her an Adaptil collar and plug in . I did actually contact romford greyhound rehoming where I got lily and spoke to them as well. They have suggested having another dog for a weekend and see how lily is. Amazingly the dog lily was kennelled with is still there , which has made me sad. So I am going to take lily to have a nose and see how she goes and then have the dog for the weekend. If all goes well then I'll take it from there.

Luckily my landlord is dog friendly so shouldn't be a problem. As for taking on the expense of another dog I have considered this but to be honest I'd do whatever it took (in the nicest sense) to ensure both welfares.

I hope this hasn't come across as snotty, and appreciate the time for someone to reply sometimes you feel silly 😁😁😁

Snotty?! Not at all.

You are a good dog person. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for your promising update. Please don't hesitate to post questions. Retired racing Greyhounds are different from other breeds -- all questions are good questions. Many people experience similar situations, so your posts could help other readers too. :)

Please let us know how it goes with the other dog. Good luck!

Guest Izzy2

Hi

Many thanks I certainly will I'm going to take Lily to the kennels hopefully tomorrow and take it from there if all goes well I'm off for a week at end of march so thought that would be a good time to bring him home to settle whilst I'm there . Thanks for the encouragement 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Izzy2

Hi

Just a quick update on Lily....I took her to meet Biffo today they got on really well, took them for a walk round the huge field lily let him sniff her with no issues 😁 so I'm hoping to have him for the weekend to see how he is here, and if all goes well .......lol

Sounds like she would be happier with another dog for a companion. Hope it goes well with Biffo. For his sake as well. 18 mos is a long time to be in a kennel waiting for a home. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Izzy2

Hi everyone well I've got Biffo for the weekend new bed for both and bowls lol he's soo calm only problem he doesn't like other breed dogs...But on saying that it's nothing that can't be worked safely on. I'm getting a health check done tomorrow at the vets as he seems underweight and just want to see what I can do for him ... Hopefully there are no underlining problems. I've already checked out coats that say nervous aggressive greyhound and if I take him on I will be buying 2 of. Thanks to everyone for their help and support 😁

Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Izzy2

Hi everyone me again lol

Well Biffo went and had his check up I can't believe he weighs 2 kilo more than lily at 30.5. vet has given me drontil to cover any worming issues and has told me to feed him as many times as he wants to try and bulk him up.my issue now is do I take him back Monday to the kennels to pick him up Friday as I work Mon Tuesday nights 3-9 and Thursday 9-2.30 or do I just keep him. He's back again in a month for a further check on his weight.

Please help !!!

Guest Izzy2

To be honest I am of that decision just really need confirmation (I know that sounds silly) he's on his 4th meal already !!! caught him with his head in the biscuit bag and just for my peace of mind I'll separate them possibly on Monday.

If you're adopting him, keep him, don't take him back to the kennel. Be careful about feeding too much. Could cause upset stomach, etc. I would do 2 1/2 meals a day with some protein rich add ins like cooked chicken or hard boiled egg. You could also feed satin balls. If you Google it search in the food forum in here you'll find recipes.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Izzy2

Hi Neylas mum many thanks for your advice I'm going to a pet supplies shop today to get free flow tripe and beef and chicken to see if I can start getting weight on him he had 4 meals yesterday 2 smaller ones than main as I caught him with his head in the greyhound mix sack . He'such a lovely boy I have to give him a chance