Accidents And Cleaning Carpet

Guest jlhodges84

Guest jlhodges84

Good Evening,

My Girlfriend and I have had our greyhound for just under a year now. Beside when we first got him he has been pretty good about not peeing in the house. Lately, Since last friday (02/15/2017), he has started having accidents in the house. Once in the middle of the night, but mainly we both me and my Girlfriend have to work. She works a "normal" 40 hour/week job, but not a 9-5, sometime she can be gone up to twelve hours. I work a rotating schedule, I have a firefighter so i work 24 on, 24 off for five shifts then off 6 days in a row. We don't believe the accidents are do to a medical problems, he doesn't have any obvious symptoms of a UTI or anything else. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be the cause of his recent accidents?

The above problem leads into my next question, does anybody have any good carpet cleaning products to get pee stains out of the carpet. I have tried several different types with no luck. I am also looking at getting a deep cleaner to help with keeping the carpet clean. I have one saved on my amazon wishlist and looking at one from Costco. Anybody have any experience with these two products, recommendation for other cleaners our encouraged.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M99J1ME?colid=2GPRIDVA0OU5H&coliid=I2WQXIPPHCU7TM&ref_=hit_wr_dt_vr_md_pt

https://www.costco.com/BISSELL-ProHeat-2X-Revolution-Deep-Cleaner.product.100300511.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&storeId=10301&krypto=4SnEH0PXLDyuhH4bPvLhD8U%2BIIEDtAK9Y9DKPWZ1u52a8ZnzyST9lCPyJNDfEmyf6z6%2FBtiYH%2Brp%0ApQkY23MuDgtt31UGH7m5jZM6yu0h71o%3D

If these topics have been discussed i do apologize if they have been discussed before.

Thanks for any help

A spot bot has been a life saver for me in the past, primarily though with bile and not pee. Can't go wrong with a machine you just set down and walk away. I even use a bit of laundry detergent instead of carpet cleaner.....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Depends on how many hours he's being left alone without being taken outside for a potty break?

If 12 hours, that would be too long for dogs to physically be able to hold their urine repeatedly. (That could eventually cause urinary tract/kidney problems.)

Is he fully emptying his bladder before being left alone, and before bed?

Is he being leash walked, or does he eliminate in his own fenced yard?

(Males are notorious for holding back a little extra urine for marking purposes during walks.)

I've been having good success using Nature's Miracle "Advanced Formula" severe stain and odor remover. If a pet store doesn't stock it, it can be ordered from stores that carry regular Nature's Miracle. We buy the 1.5 gallon size, including the battery-operated sprayer nozzle -- which saves a lot product waste. That said, I just noticed the manufacturer might have made a formula change with a stronger scent(?), so you might ask about unscented, if preferred. My last purchase of "advanced" formula" was over a year ago, likely the previous formula. (Regular Nature's Miracle has not worked well here for many years having multiple cats and hounds.)

We don't have a carpet shampooer, so no advice on that option.

I had the same issue with Max, after two years he was with us he began having accidents in the house. In his case it was because my husband had a surgery to his knee and was at home for about one month and a half, going back to the previous schedule was hard for Max. In our case I called the dogsitter in order to reduce the hours he was alone to 4 a day and then extend again them to the usual 7/8 hours

You can't focus on a behavior matter BEFORE ruling out medical. So off to the vet you go for a urine culture. If that is clean, then you know it's a behavior or even a "husbandry" problem (meaning perhaps he is simply being left inside too long).

Irregular schedules are very hard for dogs. They are creatures of routine. And I agree. It's not reasonable to expect a dog to hold it during the day for 12 hours. At night when they're sleeping they seem to do it regularly, but then again, we humans tend to "go" more during the day, right?

If she can't get home to let him out on those 12 hour days, a dog walker is your best bet. Do you have a neighbor with a dog who has more regular hours? You could offer to trade walking services for something like weekend dog sitting. I've done things like that with success in the past.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Irregular schedule isn't helping, to be sure, but I agree I'd still rule out medical issues.

Regarding carpet cleaner......I have the Bissell & it's paid for itself several times over, bless its heart.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Oxyclean + water in a spray bottle will make most stains disappear quickly, neutralizing odor and breaking down the organics. Nature's Remedy is also good, but the Oxyclean mixture has been our go-to for the super yellow bile vomit spots for a while now.

I forgot about Oxyclean. That came with my spot bot and actually it has a marking on the soap reservoir that marks how much Oxy to add to the carpet cleaner plus water. I agree it's great stuff.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015