Drop It Command - How To Train

Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching Drop It?

Joy has this knack for finding stuff on the ground while we're out walking. Today, she picked up a soft pretzel and wouldn't drop it even though I send in the VOG "Drop It." I carry cookies on walks but when I threw a cookie in front of her, she looked but didn't drop the pretzel. I even tried stopping and not moving until she dropped it but felt guilty because it's a cold day and Joy hates coats, so she was shivering.

She didn't drop it until we got home and enticed her with a slice of bread. I know soft pretzels aren't bad but I'm not sure how long it had been there. I think the only reason she didn't eat it as we walked is because it was wrapped in plastic.

Thank you.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I really love this video for teaching a drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndTiVOCNY4M

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Well, I expect some people will find my method "old fashioned," but it worked for me with my pit bull/shepherd cross. If he picked up something I didn't want him to have, I just said, "Drop it" with the VOG and pried his jaws open and took the item out.

Naturally he did not care for this, so it wasn't too long before if I said "drop it" he would, preferring to give it up on his own.

George, on the other hand, never figured it out.

Buck would probably have a stroke if I used the VOG on him--not that he ever does naughty things!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've been wanting to teach my boy to drop things on command too. Like Joy he has a knack for finding tasty things on the ground when we're walking! So far I've been employing the grab his mouth and pry it out technique with some success, but it would be nice to have him understand the "drop it" command as it would probably be ultimately more reliable and safe.

The problem is that Monty is mostly uninterested in toys (except for 1 minute a day), so its difficult to get him used to dropping something that is not food before moving onto any much more interesting bits of food or a bone or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching "drop it" to a dog that rarely puts anything other than food in his mouth?

I tend to train drop it as an extension of leave it.

Leave it is trained by using something not very interesting and something completely amazing. Show the dog something not very interesting. A stick, piece of bark, whatever. When they sniff it, say leave it as they lose interest, and then give them the completely awesome thing (hot dog, chicken, cheese). Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then move onto higher value things. Eventually, all of my dogs have learnt that 'Leave it!' means that if they don't pick up/ drop whatever is in their mouth, they will get something even better from me.

One of those commands which it is essential to install because it could save your dog's life someday.

You can also train your dog not to eat anything off the ground at all, but that's more difficult. Necessary in places where dogs or wild animals are baited though.

ETA: Similar to the video above, which is great!

Edited by Brandiandwe