Grey Refusing To Go Outside Sometimes

My grey is 2 years old. We have had him for about 9 months. Usually a very good disposition. Lately, however, he has been refusing to go outside (admittedly we have been in cold Minnesota lately). When we try to get him to leave his bed to leash up and go outside before we go to bed, he won't come when called. If we approach his bed to hook up the leash, when we bend over him he will growl and sometimes jump up, but never bite or make contact. Still, it seems aggressive. I understand greyhounds and their beds, being their private space, etc. but I have to get him over this. We have tried everything like going outside the door and waiting for him to get up, offering treats that he has to get up for to receive, but all that has failed to work as well. Should I take him for some obedience training? This is our third greyhound (one at a time) but this is a new problem. The only change has been my husband's retirement, being home much more, and taking him outside about 10 times a day for "something to do." When I am alone I have him out about 4 times a day. Grey has a warm coat and nice places to walk, but no fenced yard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think this could become a bigger problem if we don't take control soon, though he has never been aggressive at all before this. Thanks much.

a regular schedule with less outings might be your answer. instead of "letting him out" you might try the two of you getting totally dressed, being very excited about "walkies" and then schlepping him out. i wouldn't want to go out by myself in the bitter cold. does he need the security of a crate in his nightly schedule?

obedience training never hurts, unless you have a dog who totally shuts down in classes. you will know, they go to sleep(annie did that no matter what we tried). he will most likely be more attentive to your communications and bonding occurs. also, a 2 year old grey is in the middle of adolescence, what a trip- been there!itheir energy will be increasing along with their strength, but their brains seem to be stuck in a fog, i would give that a try.

be patient, go to classes and stay warm!

Does he do this only before bed time? If he goes out a lot during the day with your husband, he's had plenty of time to P&P and maybe has nothing to give any more, so to speak, and is telling you so.

I've had Annie for 5-1/2 years. For most of these years, she has refused to go pee at night after 7:30. No way. Nada. Unh unh. I decided if she could hold it 11-12 hours, I wasn't going to force her -- as if a Greyhound can be forced. Now she likes to go out about 9:30 PM. Why? Who the hell knows. I mean really, Greyhounds are driven by their own internal controls.

I'm saying that maybe he doesn't have to go out before you go to bed.

My guys won't go outside when it's really cold. I have to push them by their bums out the door.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What happens if you don't do the last "out"? Maybe he just doesn't need to go. Now, I don't like that he growls at you. That's not cool. Is that the only time he shows that behavior? He lives in Minnesota so I'm going to dismiss the "cold" issue. It's Minnesota. It's cold. He's adapted to that. Not the issue.

What happens if you don't do the last "out"? Maybe he just doesn't need to go. Now, I don't like that he growls at you. That's not cool. Is that the only time he shows that behavior? He lives in Minnesota so I'm going to dismiss the "cold" issue. It's Minnesota. It's cold. He's adapted to that. Not the issue.

Neither of my guys have fully adapted to Canadian winters. I don't think anybody fully adapts to our winters. It's not at all uncommon that dogs won't go outside in the cold, or especially brutal winds.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm not clear if he's refusing his last outing on the days your husband has been taking him outside so much, or if it's on days he's only had 3 other outings, or on all days? What duration are his outings?

Considering the cold winter season, please consider any potential medical discomfort first. Dogs' unprotected paws can quickly become painfully sore or damaged by cold, dry asphalt/cement; snow; ice, etc. Dogs can suffer from Chilblains disease (vessel circulation problems in cold weather); frostbite; burn from road salts, etc. If paw pads get wet, ice or snow can build up on fur around paw pads, and become impacted between pads. If not cleaned out after each outing, that ice can continue damaging cell tissue for a long period even after dog is back home resting. (I've experienced Chilblains and Raynaud's phenomenon which are extremely painful conditions. If not caught in time and progresses untreated, damaged/dying tissue can lead to gangrene, requiring amputation.)

Whether medical, physical (e.g., too tired/exhausted) or behavioral, please consider that growling is his only polite/respectful way of communicating his serious discomfort about the situation he's facing. He's just trying to protect himself (from humans invading his space with intent to force him out). Safer to respect his warning. Please do not scold him for growling. If scolded, it could push him into escalating to a snap/bite to communicate his seriousness.

- First, I'd ask DH to reduce or eliminate several of your Greyhound's non-essential daytime walks.

- Increase the value of hound's late night treats (e.g., smelly liver, tripe, other meats) offered only to lure him up for last potty outings of the night.

- Try reducing his dinner by 1/2 cup kibble. Then offer 1/2 cup food just before his last potty outing (to help encourage him to leave his bed).

- Depending on hound's meal times, perhaps try skipping the potty outing just prior to his last bedtime outing.

Any obedience training should be positive, reward-based methods. (I like to capture Greyhounds doing a desired behavior naturally, teach verbal cue and reward the action immediately.) Please let us know how it goes.

Our trainer favors verbal praise over a clicker. But when our greyhound is being super stubborn, we use the clicker to get his attention. For our greyhound it has a different effect than our voices, or the shaking of a treat bag. He is also a young 2 year old.

We associated the clicker with a high value treat. When he hears the clicker it will snap him out of anything, and he will follow us happily for a treat.

This also really helps to get him out of bed if we need him to move, we hit the clicker in another room and he gets up immediately seeking a treat.

Sometimes when it's sunny, he lays down outside and WILL NOT COME INSIDE, until we use the clicker.

So a clicker might be helpful to at least get him through the door, or just as a safer way to get his full attention.