My husband and I are in San Diego until Sunday, and today we received a call from the lady who runs the kennel where we left her. She called and said she had an "emergency", and then told me that Ruby has a small cut on her tail, that was dropping blood drops each time she hit it against the side of her pen. The pens are large, a regular kennel type. She said the cut was similar to a paper cut, and wanted to know what to do. I have not dealt with this before. She said she didn't think she needed a vet visit. I asked her if she could put some antibiotic ointment on it, and then wrap it in vet wrap. She said she would, and will call me tomorrow to let me know what it looks like.

I know that "happy tail" can be very hard to get healed. Can anyone tell me what I should have her do ? Should Ruby go to the vet even if the area looks clean and dry tomorrow ? Are there any tricks to keep the bandaging on ? Any ointment I should ask them to use or not use ? cone of shame needed ? Any advice welcome. I hate being away when things like this happen. Thank you !

Karen

Try to enjoy your vacation!

Happy tail can get worse quickly if the tail isn't wrapped or the wrapping doesn't protect the wound. The injury itself isn't particularly hard to heal, but banging a healing wound will not help it heal. And of course, ointments will make it more difficult for the bandaging to stick, so I'm betting the kennel has already figured out that they have to be careful to keep the ointment only on top of the injury and nowhere near the end of the vetwrapping. If the wound is bandaged & wrapped, a little bit of a stronger adhestive near the top edge of the taping will help the entire 'tube' of vetwrap to stay in place. (note that the stronger tape will also be difficult / painful to remove since it will probably pull hair out, so use as little as possible).

If a vet visit is warranted (because of lingering/excessive bleeding), they'll probably use a syringe to give the wound more protection (and to ensure lots of banging in his crate).

Be aware that I am not a vet nor do I play one on t.v., so other folks may have more current experience with the dreaded happy tail.

Sorry this happened while you're away! No personal experience with happy tail here, but you might pass along Grassmere's happy tail bandaging instructions to the kennel: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/happy_tail_bandaging.htm.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

That's a relief. I was going to say perhaps she was in a smaller area than her body liked and the tail just got caught somewhere. I'm not sure people are used to this gorgeously long, thin tails. Wrap and monitor.

Enjoy your vac!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015